What vitamins and minerals are good for flu?
The use of certain supplements during flu, such as vitamins and minerals, can help boosting the immune system in order to prevent its contagion. Taking these minerals or supplements can also be a useful way to relieve the symptoms of flu.
How to boost immune system against flu?
– Vitamin B complex: The use of vitamin B during flu tends to ameliorate its symptoms and, above all, to boost immunity to prevent its relapse or its possible complications. The usual dose is a pair of vitamin B complex tablets, divided into two daily doses.
– vitamin A: It strengthens the immune system, so it is appropriate to prevent the occurrence of many diseases, especially respiratory ones. Using this vitamin during infection helps fight viruses. The usual dose is between 25,000 and 75,000 IU in the form of carotenoids. If the dose has to be extended beyond a week, it should be reduced to 25.000 IU daily. (In pregnant women the dose of supplements should not exceed the daily dose (3500 to 4000 IU) and always under medical supervision)
– Supplements of shiitake (Lentinula edodes) By increasing the defenses, shiitake fungus protects against infection from respiratory diseases such as flu or colds. (Take shiitake supplements according to the terms of the patient information leaflet)
– Supplements of reishi (Ganoderma lucidum): The properties of this fungus are similar to shiitake (Take reishi supplements in the form of capsules or tablets according to the terms of the patient information leaflet.)
Is Vitamin C good for flu?
Recent studies have shown that ingestion of this vitamin does not prevent the occurrence of cold winter diseases, such as flu, cold, bronchitis, etc. However, it helps to improve most symptoms, so muscle pain, headache, or sneezing, for example, are more bearable.
Vitamin C can cause diarrhea in which case the dose has to be reduced. To avoid initial reactions it is best to start with a low dose and gradually go up. In case of intestinal problems you should abandon treatment.
Natural antibiotics for flu
Some bacteria can take profit of a flu weakened body to produce body infections. There are some natural products that can be used to combat bacteria. The most important ones are:
– Garlic supplements: Because of its bactericidal properties it helps preventing the spread of opportunistic bacteria during the infection process. The usual dose generally is about 1600 to 2400 mg daily in four divided doses during meals. (See plant contraindications in the complete study of this plant)
– Echinacea supplements: This plant, like garlic, is a good natural antibiotic. It eliminates microorganisms and enhances immunity. The usual dose generally is about 1000 mg per day divided into 5 daily doses. (It may cause allergic reactions in some people. Do not take with immune diseases: AIDS, multiple sclerosis, tuberculosis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.).
– Supplements of Zinc: Zinc is believed to help shorten the duration of the flu. The usual dose generally is one tablet every three hours during the first three days of the flu and then, during the rest of the week, one tablet every four hours. In any case do not exceed the total daily dose of 150 mg.
– Ginseng supplements: By means of increasing the production of lymphocytes, ginseng species makes the body more resistant to the attack of viruses or bacteria. They have been used to treat influenza, or respiratory tract diseases. (More information in the general study of the plant)
Natural treatment of swine influenza
These therapies could prove useful for swine flu, although, given the recent emergence of this new strain of flu, they have not yet been tested.
More information about flu and its natural treatment.
21 November, 2023