- 1 Characteristics and benefits of geranium essential oil
Characteristics and benefits of geranium essential oil
Geraniums belong to the family of the Geraniaceae that includes about 700 species of plants distributed mainly by temperate and subtropical countries.
They are herbs and shrubs that are used primarily in gardening.
Within the geraniums we would have both, genus “Geranium” and genus “Pelargonium“.
How is geranium essential oil obtained?
This essential oil is obtained by distilling the stems, leaves and flowers of these plants with water.
The most commonly used in the preparation of essential oils is the spotted geranium or wood geranium ( Geranium maculatum ), together with herb-Robert or fox geranium (Geranium robertianum).
The most appreciated is rose geranium or sweet scented geranium, (Pelargonium graveolens)
The main producing countries are Russia, Egypt, China and the Reunion Islands.
Characteristics of geranium essential oil
- Aromatic: rich in geraniol, citronellol, sabinene and limonene that give it a sweet smell, rose-like, while its conten in menthone and isomenthone gives it its mentholated flavor.
- Its color is light olive green.
Medicinal properties of geranium oil
- Due to its antiseptic, infectious and fungicidal properties, it is very suitable for the treatment of skin abnormalities and for joint pain.
- It has diuretic, astringent, circulatory, stimulant and antidepressant effects.
- Mental, physical and emotional balance.
Main benefits of geranium essential oil
- Beneficial for skin care in case of wounds, eczema, acne, dermatitis, burns, hemorrhoids and for the treatment of oily skin. For massages in areas with cellulite.
- It can be used for the treatment of the respiratory tract diseases through inhalations,, such as sore throat.
- It helps regulate hormonal functions, so it is very useful to reduce the symptoms of menopause and premenstrual syndrome.
- For the treatment of metabolic and circulatory diseases, such as fluid retention, gout, obesity, cellulite or poor circulation.
- For nervous problems, such as depression, anxiety or stress
Other uses of geranium essential oil
- It is used in the manufacture of cosmetic products, soap, insecticide products and detergents
- It is widely used for the preparation of beverages and food.
Toxicity of geranium essential oil
In external use ,when diluted, is not toxic. In some sensitive people it can cause skin irritations.
More information on essential oils
16 January, 2023