Herbal treatment of atopic dermatitis
Phytotherapy: Medicinal plants remedies for the treatment of atopic dermatitis
The function of the phytotherapy in the treatment of atopic dermatitis is to provide plants that meet any of the following functions:
- Plants that help to prevent the appearance of these allergies
- Plants that smooth and hydrate the skin
- Plants that diminish the itching, the inflammation or the irritation.
- Plants that prevent pustules or blisters from becoming infected
MEDICINAL PLANTS FOR ATOPIC DERMATITIS
Among the main plants we can mention the following:
External use preparations
- Mallow: (Malva sylvestris) For its mucilage content, it softens the skin and also helps eliminate other skin manifestations, such as pimples, pustules, sores, etc. (decoction of 40 grams of dried leaves in one liter of water. Apply a compress soaked with the liquid resulting in quarter of an hour twice a day)
- Aloe (Aloe vera) Aloes has antiseptic, antibacterial, antiinflammatory, hydrating and regenerating properties. (Apply aloe gel to the affected area)
- Calendula or wild wonder: (Calendula officinalis, Calendula arvensis) These plants have antibiotic or antiinflammatory properties, very suitable for the treatment of contact dermatitis. (Infusion of a spoonful of flowers per cup of water. Wet the affected area.) (Use a few drops of essential oil diluted in water)
- Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria) Meadowsweet is considered an excellent cleansing plant, suitable for dermatitis. (Infusion of 2 teaspoons of flowers, twice daily. Do not reach boiling not to destroy the salicylic acid present in flowers).
Meadowsweet flowers still in bloom
- Cucumber: (Cucumis ssp.) A good way to make a smoothing cream is to grind a couple of cucumbers in a blender and spread the crushed pulp as cream on the skin for half an hour or three quarters of an hour.
- Agrimony (Agrimonia eupatoria) In case of dermatitis, using agrimony helps improve skin condition and significantly reduces the unpleasant feeling of itching. (Decoction of a tablespoon and a half cup of water for 5 minutes. Apply a compress soaked with the liquid to the affected area)
- Plantain: (Plantago major) Fresh plantain leaves are one of the best vulneraries, that’s to say, they have the property to disinfect and promote healing. This property is attributed both to its richness in tannins, with healing and hemostatic function and to its richness in
Allantoin is a substance that has the ability to stimulate the growth of skin cells and replace those who were damaged. By doing this, it produce the skin regeneration. This is why this component is used in the cosmetics industry and becomes part of the composition of creams for all skin types.
Without going into the sophistication of these creams, some fresh leaves of this plant, washed and applied to a wound, will help stop the flow of blood, heal and prevent the risk of infection.
Plantain leaves can be a good remedy to treat dermatitis
- Avocado: (Persea americana) Used externally, for its richness in vitamin D and vitamin E to stimulate collagen formation as well as saponins, is a good balm for the skin, ideal for treating the same problems, especially in cases of eczema and dermatitis that can be fought using a cream made with the pulp of the fruit or by external application of oil.
- Agave (Agave americana) Used externally, it has vulnerary properties (Poultice of fresh leaf juice on the affected area)
- Oats: Oatmeal is very useful to relieve itching. Apply a cold compress with water oats. To do this you use the liquid from the infusion of a half cup of oats per liter of water. Squeeze the mixture to remove the liquid and cover with the compress.
Related information: skin creams.
Internal use treatments for atopic dermatitis
- Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) With antihistamine properties, it can help to control the allergic reactions produced by foods or other causes. (Maceration during 8 hours of the decoction of dry root at 10%. A pair of cups per day)
- Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) Extract preparation of sale in pharmacies and herbalists (Take according to the preparation conditions of use without exceeding the dose, so that is not toxic)
- Apple (Malus domestica) the apple vinegar is sometimes effective for the intolerance of certain foods (Take a pair of spoonfuls in a water glass, sweetened with honey)
- Sarsaparilla: (Smilax aspera) Its purifying capacity turns it into a good remedy for the treatment of anomalies of the skin which, in most cases, manifest as a result of an excess of toxins in the body (Maceration 12 hours 2 tablespoons of dried root in a pint of water. decoction mashing for 20 minutes. Take a couple of glasses per day).
- Mango (Mangifera indica) Besides the vitamin A and vitamin C, mango is rich in vitamins of the group B, among which there are the niacin (B3 Vitamin) necessary for the good operation of the nervous system, the health of the skin and the metabolism of fats and, mainly, in pyridoxine (B6 vitamin) whose importance is transcendental for the synthesis of the amino acids and the metabolism of fats, as well as the health of the hair, the skin or the balance of the liquids in the organism.
- Therefore, eating mango is a good way to prevent hair loss or dermatitis.
OTHER NATURAL REMEDIES FOR ATOPIC DERMATITIS
- Diet: Since many cases of atopic dermatitis are caused by food allergies, it should follow a proper diet type (More about this diet on the listing below)
- Home remedies: Among home remedies to avoid the itch we can mention the baths with oats or the application of baths with temperate water in which sodium bicarbonate in the proportion of a spoonful by each half liter of water has been dissolved.
More information on contact dermatitis and other types of dermatitis.
31 January, 2022