Herbal treatment for anxiety
Phytoterapy. Herbal treatment for anxiety
The primary role of phytotherapy in the problem of anxiety is to use plants with following purposes:
– Use plants with sedative and hypnotic properties, able to relax tense muscles.
– Use tonic plants for the nervous system
Herbal preparation of internal use to treat anxiety
Among all the possible plants, the most important ones are:
– Panax Ginseng and Siberian Ginseng (Panax ginseng/ Eleutherococcus senticocus) Both widely used to combat depression and reduce personal stress (Take capsules prepared according to the patient information leaflet. On sale on pharmacies and herbalists’) (See contraindications an toxicity in the general studies of these plants)
– St. John’s wort, Hypericum (Hyperycum perforatum) Long-term use of this herb – about 4 to 6 months – makes it a refreshing tonic for nervous system (A teaspoon of crushed flowers for a cup of water. Take 2 cups a day) (View contraindications)
– Borage (Borago officinalis) To balance the excess of adrenal hormones that occurs in a stress situation (Infusion of a spoonful of dried leaves per cup of water. Take a couple of glasses a day)
– Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) Against any type of nervous disorder and depression – palpitations, spasms, vomiting, nervous exhaustion, stress, anxiety, etc. (Infusion of about 15 grams from the root which has to be left in water all through the night)
– Lime: (Citrus aurantifolia) It is considered that lime balances the nervous system, because in their oils there are calming essences.) (Infusion of a teaspoon of dried leaves three times a day, or infusion of the bark of key lime)
– Basil (Ocimum basilicum) infusion of one teaspoon of dried leaves per cup of water. Take a couple of cups a day after meals. Increasing the dose it presents narcotic properties!!!
– Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) It is very useful for all kind of nervous system disorders (Infusion of a pinch of dried leaves in a glass of water for 1 / 4 hour. (3 glasses per day)
– Angelica (Angelica archangelica)
– Poppy (Papaver rhoeas) Poppy can help calm down jangled nerves. Just make a tea with half a teaspoon of the petals of this plant for a cup of water. We’ll drink a couple of cups each day, trying to drink the second one just before bedtime. They can be sweetened with a little honey.
– Lavender (Lavandula officinalis, Lavandula latifolia) In disturbed emotional states, anxiety, nervousness, moodiness or irritability, lavender can help reassure us. (10-minute infusion of a spoonful of dried flowers per cup of water. Take 2 cups a day between meals)
– Linden (Tilia europaea, T. platyphylos, T. cordata) One of the most used against “Nerve problems” (Infusion of a spoonful of dried flowers per cup of water. Take 3 or 4 glasses a day, depending on your condition)
– Hawthorn (Crataegus oxycantha, C monogyna) Particularly for sleeping and anxiety (Infusion of a spoonful of dried flowers per cup of water. Take a couple of cups a day) (There are preparations in pharmacies and herbalists’ of this plant in combination with others such as passionflower or valerian. Drink according to the patient information leaflet)
More information about anxiety and its natural treatment.