Herbal remedies for burns
How to heal burns
It is very important to take into account that very serious burns require hospital care. Serious burns should receive medical care, too. (See types of burns)
The natural treatment for burns is intended to use natural remedies for first degree burns or minor second degree burns.
Phytotherapy: Herbal remedies for burns
Phytotherapy in the treatment of burns is based on using a number of medicinal plants whose primary objective is:
- Anti- inflammatory plants that reduce swelling.
- Anti microbial plants to prevent infection.
- Restorative plants, able to regenerate the skin.
Medicinal plants for burns
Among all the suitable plants we can distinguish the following:
- Oats (Avena sativa) Oats is one of the most appropriate plants for the treatment of the skin. (Make a poultice of oatmeal with water and apply it on the affected area)
- Aloe (Aloe vera) It is one of the most important natural remedies for treating burns. Aloe relieves pain, reduces inflammation and redness and prevents infection (Apply aloe gel on the burn. This gel can be purchased at health food stores or pharmacies or, more easily, can be obtained by cutting a leaf and squeezing it with the non-cutting edge of a knife on a flat surface. You can also peel the leaf and rub it gently on the burn)
- St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) It is a natural antibiotic and a healing skin remedy. (Friction with hypericum oil) (Wash the burn with hypericum tincture available in pharmacies or herbalists)
- Cabbage (Brassica oleracea) Cabbage exerts a tonic value to the skin, especially when mixed with a little olive oil. (Crush a fresh leaf and apply it as a poultice on the affected area. Change it every quarter on an hour.)
- Vervain (Verbena officinalis) (Infusion of a half tablespoon of dried plant, wash the affected area).
- Goldenrod (Solidago virgaurea) Because of tannis, this plant is used to clean wounds and improve healing. (Compresses. 50-100g decoction of dried plant per liter of water, cool, strain, and apply to the afected part)
- Witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) It helps cure burns, prevents pain and diminishes the possibility of infection (Apply witch hazel water on the burns with a lot o care)
- Plantain (Plantago spp) Applying a poultice, made with pounded fresh leaves applied on a burn, relieves pain and help regenerate the skin.
- Agrimony (Agrimonia eupatoria) Agrimony is an excellent vulnerary for healing wounds, scratches, cuts, punctures, minor burns, and so on. (Crush some fresh leaves and apply them as a compress on the wound)
- Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) Demulcent properties of marshmallow are granted by its wealth of mucilage, pectin and sucrose. These sugary components, especially the mucilage, in contact with water, forms a kind of protective paste, like a gel that cures or prevent inflammation and relieves pain. (Boil a handful of roots in water for 10 to 12 minutes. Moisten with liquid and put a gauze over the burn)
- Hibiscus (Hibiscus sp.) Same as the marshmallow is rich in mucilage. (Infusion with a tablespoon of dried leaves and flowers per cup of water. Apply a compress over the affected area.)
- Carrot (Daucus carota) It assist skin to heal of the burn and prevents infection. (Grate a carrot and apply it on the burn)
- Comfrey: (Symphytum officinale) Soak the burn with the liquid from the infusion of dried leaves.
- Lavender (Lavandula officinalis, Lavandula latifolia) It helps to disinfect wounds, promote healing and diminishes pain (Wash the affected area with liquid from the 10-minute infusion of a spoonful of dried flowers per cup of water.
- Flax (Linum usitatissium) (Apply linseed oil to the affected area, then, cover it with a clean bandage)
- Apple (Malus domestica) (Apply apple pulp as a poultice on the wound. Change every quarter hour)
- Poplar (Populus nigra) it is is recommended for the treatment of superficial burns. It helps reduce pain and promotes skin renewal. (Wash the burned area with a gauze soaked in the decoction for 15 minutes of a couple of tablespoons of dried buds per liter of water)
Supplements for burns
Brewer’s yeast can help prevent infections or diseases by stimulating the immune system. It can also help recover from skin problems such as wounds, eczemas, burns, etc.
Traditional home remedies to heal burns
Other home remedies that have been used for treatment of minor burns are:
- Honey: Very adequate to protect the burn from infection, reduce pain and promote healing. (Cover the burn with honey)
- Yogurt: It also promotes healing and reduces pain. (Cover the burn with yogurt)
- Flour: It protects the burn and promotes healing (Apply flour on the burn)
5 February, 2022