CONSEQUENCES OF TAKING BLACKTHORN
Photo of blackthorn fruits
What are blackthorn side effects?
– Dermatitis: blackthorn can cause contact dermatitis or skin irritation by direct contact with the fresh plant, fruits, flowers or leaves.
– Allergy: Some people may have allergy to blackthorn, especially if they have allergy to any plant of the Rosaceae family.
– Vomiting: by irritation of the gastric mucosa due to the high tannin content of the fruit, leaves and flowers, blackthorn preparations can lead to vomiting.
– Stomach pains and digestive problems such as gastritis: the tannins are irritating to the gastric and intestinal mucosa. Large amounts of fruits can trigger problems of gastritis or stomachache.
– Constipation: Constipation is produced by the big amount of tannins.
Leaves and blossoms of blackthorn should be prescribed by a physician due to the presence of certain amounts of prusic acid, a toxic component, in its composition.
More information on blackthorn.
19 March, 2019