CONSEQUENCES OF TAKING VITEX PREPARATIONS
What are vitex side effects?
- Contact dermatitis with fresh plant.
- Allergy: the plant can cause allergies.
- Increased defecation because the plant may have slightly laxative effect.
- Digestive symptoms: nausea, heartburn, stomach pain, belly pain. In case of gastric problems as gastritis, it is better to divide the dose in twice, taking them all on a full stomach.
- Altered menstrual cycle
- Acne and skin rash: for their hormonal effects the plant can produce acne. We recommend taking half the dose in these cases.
- There have been reported other less common side effects such as weight gain, headache and insomnia.
Vitex side- effects in pregnancy and lactation
It is recommended NOT to use vitex during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Why is vitex not recommended during pregnancy?
There is a risk that this plant components interfere on the levels of hormones that regulate pregnancy and miscarriage may occur.
In vitro studies, vitex has shown a possible emmenagogue effect, stimulating menstruations, so it can cause abortion or prevent pregnancy
Why is vitex not recommended during lactation?
This plant could reduce the production of breast milk because of its hormonal effects.
Do not take vitex in these stages. If in doubt, consult your health care professional.
More information about vitex properties, toxicity
31 January, 2021