Dangers of vitamin C
Is vitamin C completely safe?
Vitamin C taken from plant foods is completely safe. The body absorbs the necessary amount and expels what it does not need.
Supplements of vitamin C are considered quite safe if taken according to the patient’s prospectus leaflet. However one should take into account than some side effects can take place, such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, headache, stomachache or heartburn.
Consequences of taking too much vitamin C from supplements
Vitamin C supplements in doses over 2000 mg daily can be harmful because it can produce several body disorders. Among the most important ones we can point out:
- Kidney stones
Some people should be very careful taking vitamin C supplements since this could worsen some body disorders, for example people suffering from gout, kidney diseases or cirrhosis. In this case it is better to consult the doctor before taking it.
Long-term intake of high doses of vitamin C can produce vitamin C deficiency if high dosage is stopped abruptly. To avoid this phenomenon, high vitamin C intake has to be diminished gradually.
Can vitamin C interfere with other medicines or herbal remedies
- Vitamin C increases the effect of some medicines or supplements, such as aspirins, anti-acid aluminium containing products or iron supplements.
- Vitamin C reduces the absorption of cobalamin (Vitamin B12) and lutein.
- Nicotine reduces the absorption of vitamin C
- Some antibiotics, barbiturates or oral estrogens, either taken by means or conventional medicines, herbal remedies or supplements, may interfere with vitamin C.
- Vitamin C interferes with some blood thinning medicines o natural remedies.
Is vitamin C completely safe for pregnant or lactating women?
Vitamin C taken from plant foods is completely safe for pregnant or lactating women. There are not enough studies to consider how safe or harmful additional supplements of vitamin C can be in these two cases, so it is better to consult the doctor about this matter.
More information about vitamin C.
4 May, 2021