BENEFITS OF ARTICHOKES
What are artichokes?
Artichokes (Cynara scolymus L.) are immature flowers that are consumed as vegetables.
Every artichoke is a flower bud that will form a future flower, although it is harvested and consumed before it blooms, in order to be tender.
Artichokes have an oval shape. They are covered with small leaves that are green, sometimes with lilac or blue tinges.
They have a bitter taste, similar to lettuce or endive.
What are the main nutrients of artichokes?
As an energy source, 100 grams artichoke give us 47 Kcal.
Their proportion of nutrients is divided into:
– Close to 85% is water.
– A 0.15% fat.
– A 1.7% proteins.
– Nearly 10.5% of carbohydrates.
– A 5.4% fiber.
Artichokes contain a lot of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B3 and B9. They also have fewer B vitamins and vitamin E.
Photo of artichokes
COMPOSITION OF ARTICHOKES
Nutritional characteristics of artichokes
– Artichoke have a high water content that prevents us to become dehydrated.
– It gives us energy in the form of calories, which help us to maintain vitality.
– It contains very little fat.
– It has a good protein content.
– Its sugar content is moderate.
– It is high in fiber.
– It helps to remove toxins from our body, because it contains potassium.
– Artichokes contain calcium and phosphorus. Both minerals maintain the balance of the formation of strong bones.
– Because of its magnesium content, it helps the contraction and relaxation of muscles.
– Because of its iron content, it helps prevent anemia situations.
– For its vitamin B3, it aids us to get energy from fat, protein and carbohydrate intake. In addition, together with vitamin B9, it help us to grow properly.
– It protects the skin and helps keep it healthy, because it contains vitamin A.
– It protects us from colds and helps heal our wounds, because it contains vitamin C.
– It protects us from the toxins and aging, because it contains vitamin A, C, E, zinc and selenium, all of them are antioxidants.
Artichoke in the kitchen:
More information about other foods and nutrition.