Why is water so important?
FUNCTIONS OF WATER
The importance of water in our nutrition
Water is an essential liquid in nutrition. Without water we become dehydrated and die.
Why is water important for our body?
The human body is composed mainly of water. Water is part of the cells of our body.
Furthermore, water has other functions
Water constitutes the symbol of life. Water is a must-have for planet Earth.
- Water is needed to digest food. Saliva is made up mainly of water. The water mixes with food to form the bolus that circulates through the digestive system.
- Water is necessary to expel undigested food abroad as feces.
- Water is necessary to expel toxins from the body. When we urinate, we expel water and organic waste.
- Water regulates body temperature. By sweating, water is expelled through the pores. When this water evaporates, our body becomes cooler.
- Water is the main component of blood, through which we carry oxygen and nutrients to cells.
- Water hydrates all joints and soft tissues of the body so they can function properly.
Where do we get water from?
Vegetables contain a lot of water
Water is obtained from food and water we drink. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, milk or milk products, fish and meat contain plenty of water.
Legumes are dry in nature and must be rehydrated so that you can eat them
Nuts have virtually no water. Oil does not have any water.
Besides the water we get from food, drinking water is important to meet the needs of the organism.
What water is best?
Any water that is potable is adequate. Usually chlorine is added tap water to make it potable. Chlorine kills microorganisms that can cause us diseases and makes water drinkable. Treated water is one that has chlorine or has been treated chemically and physically so you can drink it.
Some drinking waters contain large amounts of chlorine and other products that give a flavor or odor. However, it is considered safe.
Mineral waters are freshwaters that have few minerals. These waters have been collected in non contaminated places so it is said that they are “pure.” Although no products are added, they are analyzed to check that they are drinkable. they are sold bottled.
- You should never drink well water or spring water without knowing beforehand that the water that comes from the well or spring is safe.
How much water should we drink?
We should drink 1 to 2 liters of water a day. For children, it is especially important to drink frequently.
We should never remain thirsty. When we feel thirsty, it is because the body has begun to dehydrate.
|TO REMEMBER: WATER IN DIETETICS AND NUTRITION|
Characteristics of nutrients
Child feeding course index
More information on nutrition.
26 June, 2019