Acai oil benefits
What is acai oil?
Acai oil or “Azeite Açaí”, in Portuguese, is the fatty liquid extracted from the pulp of the fruit of Acai (Euterpe oleracea).
The acai palm is a palm native to the Amazon jungle that is high in fat.
Acai oil is marketed for cosmetic purposes and has no significant importance when used as a food oil.
Cosmetics made from acai oil are mainly produced in Brazil. It is the main ingredient in creams, shampoos, soaps and colognes.
Physical characteristics Acai Oil
Pure acai oil has a liquid consistency. It is slightly greenish and shows a viscous texture
Acai Oil Composition
Acai oil comprises 99% fat. The following explains the type of fat it contains:
- Monounsaturated fats: Fats are the majority in acai oil, accounting for 60% of the fat profile of this oil. Among these fats, acai oil contains oleic acid (50 – 60%), obtaining lubricating properties ideal for skin treatments such as remedies for dry skin, wrinkles, skin sagging, and anti-aging protection. Other monounsaturated fatty acids are palmitoleic acid, a derivative of palmitic acid.
- Saturated fats: As with other palm oils, like coconut or palm oil, the fruit of the acai palm has a high percentage of saturated fat. The fatty acid is mainly palmitic acid, which is very is common in oil palms, as its name suggests.
- Polyunsaturated fats: polyunsaturated fatty acids are the minor component among acai oil fats, representing 15% of the total. Among these fats, it predominantly contains omega-6 (linoleic acid) also common in all seed oils.
|Fat composition of acai oil|
|Type of fat||Percentage|
|Saturated fatty acids||25%|
|from whom, palmitic acid (C16:0)||20 – 26%|
|from whom,stearic acid (C18:0)||2%|
|from whom arachicic acid(C20:0)||0,1 – 2,5%|
|Mono-unsaturated fatty acids||60%|
|from whom, palmitoleic acid(C16:1)||2 – 5%|
|from whom, oleic acid (C18:1)||50 – 65%|
|Poly-unsaturated fatty acids||15%|
|From whom, linoleic acid (18:2), Omega 6||12 – 15%|
|From whom, linolenic acid (18:3), Omega 3||<0,1%|
Cosmetic properties of Acai Oil for skin
- Lubricant: Acai oil is an excellent lubricant that soothes, relaxes and protects dry skin and defends it from external attacks such as cold. Acai oil ointment is very good for dry and sensitive skin.
- Omega 9 fats nourish the skin from the outside, helping to make it look healthier.
- Antioxidant vitamins for fat: specifically, vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that helps maintain a youthful skin.
- Hair protection: It can also be used for hair care, especially for colored dry or damaged hair, that are in great need of protection. This is a common application in Peru, where acai oil constitutes a good treatment to beautify the women hair.
|Acai oil softens, nourishes, soothes and protects the skin for a more youthful appearance.|
Other food products made with Acai
More recipes and information about acai.
28 March, 2022