Properties of acai juice
What is acai juice?
Acai juice, known in Brazil as “vinho de açaí” is the liquid extract obtained from the filtrate of the acai pulp with water.
Unlike what its name my suggest, it is not a fermented alcoholic beverage. It is called “vinho” (wine) for its purple coloration, reminiscent of wine.
Edible properties of acai juice
The composition of Acai juice is similar to the composition of the Acai pulp, although less concentrated due to its higher percentage of water.
- Calories: energy intake of acai juice is higher than in other juices due to the higher fat content of this juice. Keep in mind that acai juice is more energetic than other fruit juices.
- Carbohydrates: 100g of acai juice provide 30g of sugars. It is a significant amount that should be taken into account, for example, for diabetics, since it involves an important charge of simple sugars as glucose.
- Protein: protein intake is almost insignificant but complementary to a balanced diet, because the acai contains all essential amino acids.
- Fat: Acai juice shows high fat content compared of with other fruit juices. Among all of them, Omega 9, which helps to balance the fat in our diet, is the the most abundant one.
- Vitamins and minerals: In a lesser extent than in Acai pulp, acai juice contains a balanced supply of vitamins and minerals that help rebuild the body’s mineral balance and give us energy. We should stress its calcium content, almost in the same proportion as cow’s milk (120g / 100g of milk).
- Phytochemicals: the “vinho de açaí” is the best way to consume fruit antioxidant nutrients: anthocyanins, tannins and other polyphenols, with hardly any calories.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS OF ACAI JUICE
|Edible composition of acai juice|
|Vitamin B1 (mg)||0,04|
|Vitamin C (mg)||8,9|
– More information: Antioxidant properties of acai
|Currently, in Belém, one of the main producers of acai juice, people drink more acai juice than milk: it is estimated a consumption of 200,000 liters of acai juice per day among its population of approximately 1.3 million inhabitants.|
Other food products made with Acai
– Acai oil
More information about acai.
12 March, 2021