Is boldo toxic?
No, boldo is not a toxic plant in the recommended doses.
– In some regions of the world it is a culinary spice and is used in food in small doses. In particular, it is an aromatic herb of Chilean cuisine.
– This plant has become one of the most prescribed in phytotherapy for the liver in herbalists ‘.
– However, boldo is a plant rich in essential oils and contains medicinal components with certain contraindications. It use may cause side effects.
* More information: See the side effects and contraindications.
What components does boldo contain?
– Essential oil (1-3%): it contains monoterpene carbides (p-cymene, alpha and beta-pinene, gamma-terpinene) and oxygenated monoterpenes (ascaridol, cineol, linalool, terpineol and camphor).
– Isoquinoleinic alkaloids (0.2-0.5%): Boldo contains about 20 alkaloids derived from aporphine, the most important being boldine, which represents 25-30% of the total alkaloids.
– Flavonic glycosides: boldoside, boldoglucin.
What effects can boldo produce?
– In very high doses, boldo essential oil has narcotic, hypnotic and convulsive effects. It may produce hallucinations, vertigo and vomiting. Use the dry plant in the recommended doses.
– Boldo essential oil should be used in very low doses: doses higher than 0.3g. cause diarrhea and other adverse effects, even palsy.
– The essential oil has caused irritation of the kidneys and the genitourinary tract.
– Essential oil or high doses of the dry plant have been shown to be abortive and cause disruption of the fetus. Boldo is NOT a recommended plant during pregnancy.
– The alkaloids of the plant, specially boldine, are toxic in high doses. However, infusions at 1 and 2% do not cause toxic effects.
– Boldo alkaloids and glycosides of the plant are toxic to rodents.
|Because of its content in alkaloids and its richness in essential oils, boldo should not be used in long treatments or for more than 4 weeks.|
Precautions with boldo treatments
Here are the basic precautions for healthy people. You will find the contraindications and side effects in an extended way in the sections of the list.
– Do not perform treatments longer than 4 weeks. Follow the doses prescribed by your doctor.
– It should not be consumed by pregnant or breastfeeding women.
– The essential oil of the plant should not be used in children under 12 years old.
– Ask your doctor about boldo safety if you take medication.
– Check with your doctor about boldo safety if you have liver or kidney disease.
More information on boldo
26 May, 2021