Importance of spices of spices or herbs in the kitchen
How to combine spices?
The aromatic spices or herbs constitute a very useful resource in the kitchen because they allow to make more flavorful and healthful dishes.
In order to be able to increase the flavor or the fragrance of the meals it is necessary to know the characteristics spices so that these are combined well.
Classification of spices and aromatic herbs in cooking
From a culinary point of view we distinguish the following types of spices or aromatic herbs:
- Basic spices: They can be used for all type of vegetables, soups (except sweet soups), sauces, fillings, rice, mushrooms, potatoes and all the vegetables. The spices including in this group are: garlic powder, onion, nut, nutmeg, peppers powder, black pepper, white pepper, coriander, thyme and basil.
- Mild or sweet spices: They are used to give flavor and aroma to the sweet preparations (cookies, cakes, jams, soups, sweet puddings, fruit salads, salads, puddings, etc.) Within this group we have: anise, fennel, vanilla, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Hot or strong spices: They are used to season meats, vegetables, vegetables, soups (except sweet ones) rice, mushrooms or potatoes. Within this spice group we have: peppers, black pepper, white pepper, garlic, onion, celery, cumin, parsley, sage, rosemary, radish, Melissa, bay leaves, dill, mustard, cloves, turmeric, nut nutmeg, etc.
- Stuffing spices: They are those that, used in small amount, can be used to flavour plates of both previous groups. Within this group we have cloves, ginger, fennel and cardamom.
The use of spices and aromatic herbs in the kitchen
The art of using spices or herbs has to be learned. However, we can take into account a set of rules:
- Use small amounts: This way we can add a little more if we need. The correct amount will be learned as you practice. We will use the same as learning to use the correct amount. In general, spices are used in very small quantities because its flavor is very strong.
- The good cook should not directly test spices. Spices tested individually are unpleasant. You have to mix with food to develop their real properties.
- The spices should be stored properly to retain all the aroma and original taste. Store them in glass jars, sealed in a cool dry and dark.
Main spices and aromatic herbs in the kitchen
Although there are many spices and herbs, most people use a limited number of them. Knowing these spices and know how to use is a good way to improve health and enhance the values of the kitchen. (See spice listing in the listing below)
*Related information: Spices of the world
More information on spices
28 November, 2023