Side effects of mustard remedies
CONSEQUENCES OF TAKING MUSTARD
Does mustard produce side effects?
Mustard (Brassica nigra) is a plant rich in glucosinolates, substances that give it its distinctive spicy and burning taste.
These components are very irritating and can cause some side effects in sensitive individuals.
What side effects has mustard?
Photo of black mustard seeds (Brassica nigra).
- Vomiting: Mustard has components that stimulate gastric nerve, which in some people can cause dizziness, vomiting and digestive discomfort.
- Stomach pain: Mustard has components that irritate the mucous membranes of the digestive tract and can cause severe stomach pain.People with dyspepsia, gastritis, stomach ulcers or other digestive ulcers should avoid remedies and food seasoning with mustard, because its ingestion can cause them strong stomach pain and digestive disorders.Because mustard stimulates stomach acid secretions, people who suffer from heartburn should not take it.
- Diarrhea: Laxative irritant properties of this seed have laxative effect in some cases. Depending on the dose and individual tolerance, it can cause diarrhea.
- Intestinal disease: In people suffering from intestinal diseases, such as Crohn’s disease or irritable colon, mustard can trigger an outbreak.
- Mustard can interact with other drugs. Although there is not much information available on the matter, mustard is likely to interact with antithrombotic drugs and drugs for hypertension. Consult your doctor before taking mustard if you are on any medication.
TOPICAL USE SIDE EFFECTS
- Rubefacient: Normal remedies with mustard are manifested by redness of the affected area and itching symptoms. Mustard is a rubefacient remedy, and, when applied externally, produces these reactions.
- Irritant contact dermatitis: In some people, rubefacient effects may lead to irritation and pain. In this cases, the remedy must be immediately removed, especially when the patient feels pain or irritation. (Apply Remedies for dermatitis)
- Blisters on the skin: They occur particularly when treatments are applied for a long time (over 15 minutes). In sensitive skin, blisters may appear even 5 minutes after the application of poultice.
- Inhalation: the smell of mustard can have some effects such as tear and sneezing
* Related information: Mustard contraindications, mustard toxicity
More information on mustard.
This article was endorsed by Elisenda Carballido - Dietitian nutritionist. Postgraduate in Phytotherapy and master in Nutrition and Metabolism.
Written by Editorial Botanical-online team in charge of content writing
18 June, 2021