ADVERSE EFFECTS OF CYPRESS
Cypress is considered safe when used at recommended doses. No significant side effects have been described for this plant.
What are cypress contraindications?
- Dermatitis: cypress can cause dermatitis or skin irritation by direct contact with skin.
- Sleepiness: cypress essential oil is rich in cedrol. This component has a sedative effect and is part of the composition of some sleeping pills drugs.
- Allergy: the plant can cause allergies, especially to people allergic to conifers.
Precautions with cypress
- Pregnancy and lactation: cypress essential oil is neurotoxic and oxytocic. Because it stimulates uterine musculature,, the plant is totally contraindicated in pregnancy. Neither is recommended to use it in lactation.
- The essential oil can be toxic if administered at higher than recommended doses
More information on cypress.
4 April, 2022