Medicinal preparations with Tussilago farfara
What is coltsfoot and what is it used for?
Coltsfoot, horsehoof or British tobacco (Tussilago farfara) is one of the best plants to treat colds, coughs, asthma, congestion and excess mucus. With antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, expectorant and mucolytic properties.
Uses of coltsfoot preparations
The preparations with this plant are advisable as a complement in the treatment of:
- Heavy chest, productive cough
- Respiratory infections, colds, nasal congestion
Dosage and use of coltsfoot
Long treatments (more than 2-4 weeks) with this plant are contraindicated in all cases. Use coltsfoot remedies only in specific situations or consult another phytotherapy.
- Infusion for cough: prepare 1 teaspoon (0.6-2g.) of flowers in a cup of water. The flowers are scalded (when the water boils, infuse and boil for 1 minute) and are left to stand until slightly warmed. The infusion should be strained through filter paper or cloth to remove the pappus hairs, which could irritate the throat. Take 3 cups a day. Sweeten with honey and you can also add a little milk or lemon juice to hide its bitterness. Drink very hot. For children, take 1 tablespoon every 2 hours.
- Expectorant infusion: it is prepared with 100g. of young, fresh and crushed leaves per liter of water, with the same procedure as with the flowers: blanch, rest just enough to cool down a bit and strain to remove the white integument of the leaves. Sweeten with honey, lemon juice to hide its bitterness, and drink hot. Take 2-3 times a day. Due to its mucilage content, this remedy is also used against hoarseness. Herbal teas can also be prepared with a mixture of dried leaves and flowers (between 1 and 2.5g per cup of water). Dry leaves: 6g. per cup.
- Fluid extract: 0.6-2 ml., in a 1:1 ratio with 25% alcohol; up to 3 times a day.
- Poultice: crush fresh leaves and apply to the skin as a vulnerary, on sores or burns.
- Compresses for orchitis: decoction of 100g. of leaves in 1 liter of water for 10 minutes. Strain and let stand until cool. It is applied in a compress on the area.
More information on coltsfoot, horsehoof or British tobacco
1 February, 2022