TOXICITY OF PEPPERMINT
Is peppermint dangerous for health?
Peppermint is not toxic, when used in the right dosage, either as an edible or medicinal plant.
Some people sensitive to this plant may experience some side effects (see more information in the listing below).
Peppermint essential oil itself may have toxic effects.
Components of peppermint
The active ingredients of peppermint can be toxic when consumed in excess of the recommended amounts.
But nevertheless, they are also responsible for the medicinal qualities of the plant.
Because peppermint essential oil has high concentrations of these components, it should be used with caution.
What are the main essential oil components of peppermint?
These components are:
– Pulegone: Present at 0.5% in the essential oil of the plant. This substance is responsible for the mint has been used since ancient times to treat menstrual disorders, promote childbirth and expulsion of the placenta.
– Menthol: Pure menthol can be fatal if ingested, so it should always be used diluted. It is recommended for the daily dosage of menthol not to be greater than 0.2 mg / kg
People who should not take peppermint:
– You should never take essential oil in home remedies.
– You should never use it whole in skin preparations, it is first necessary to dilute it.
Pregnancy, lactation and children.
– Peppermint plant has some contraindications that must be taken into account when consuming it.
More information on peppermint
14 May, 2021