(Mentha x piperita)
CONTRAINDICATIONS OF PEPPERMINT
In what cases should not be taken mint?
– Hiatus hernia and heartburn: Menthol may make these conditions worse by relaxing the sphincter (the “gate” that separates the stomach from esophagus), allowing stomach acids to get back up into the esophagus and causing pain or discomfort.
– Peppermint is contraindicated in people with digestive ulcers.
– Gallstones: Because menthol may stimulate the gallbladder, you should not to take any form of mint if you have kidney stones or gallstones.
– Liver disease: People with liver disease should refrain from taking peppermint essential oils.
– Intestinal Diseases: Although peppermint is indicated to relax the bowels and relieve spasms,it may not be suitable in some cases. People whom mint causes spasms or pain should avoid these treatments. It is NOT convenient to use it in case of ulcerative colitis and diarrhea.
– Parkinson’s disease: Mint treatments are not recommended for people with Parkinson’s disease.
Photo of peppermint leaves
Mint in pregnancy and lactation
Peppermint is contraindicated in these stages because it is rich in menthol, a component that can be abortive. It is probably safe to use it as a spice in cooking, but not in medicinal doses.
Historically, peppermint oils have been used to facilitate childbirth and expulsion of the placenta. Do Not perform treatments with mint oil.
Contraindications of peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil is rich in menthol and presents IMPORTANT CONTRAINDICATIONS.
– Menthol can be fatal if ingested. Never leave the essential oil within the children’s hand. Do NOT ever use it internally.
– Children under 2 years: Menthol can cause them gagging and choking both by means of infusions and applying its oil or creams on the skin, because of its cardiac depressant action being hypotensive and strongly antiseptic. Nor infusions of peppermint are indicated at these age.
– Pregnant and lactating women: abortion and can be dangerous for the mother. The breast-feeding women should not try the essential oil in any preparations because it can affect the baby.
More information on peppermint the listing above
5 June, 2019