What is constipation?
Constipation can not be defined taking into account the number of depositions. Each person has a different rithm. While some people do not go to the toilette every day, others may need going there three times or more. The most important thing is that this activity do not pose any effort and, above all, it should maintain a constant frequency.
Although frequency changes are quite common in most people, however, those changes which are maintained for some time may indicate an intestinal problem.
Symptoms of constipation
Among the most important ones we can distinguish the following: Poor or very dry stools, and with long periods between them. Swollen and heavy belly with the presence of flatulence.
Causes of constipation
There are many causes that can cause constipation, such as:
– Inadequate diet (too much meat protein, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products.) When we abuse of these foods, an alteration of the beneficial intestinal flora, required for proper digestive process, can take place with a predominance of the harmful bacteria that cause putrefaction and flatulence. Constipation can result from this alteration of intestinal flora.
Food that is recommended to avoid constipation
– Scarce content of fruit, vegetables, legumes and whole grains in the usual diet: These foods provide enough fiber for a good intestinal health. A shortage of these foods can be one of the causes that produce constipation.
– Too many products that contain little fiber, or have been subjected to a process of refinement in comparison to a good amount of whole products.
– Little water intake: Colon retains feces to take it from them when it detects that water is not abundant in the body. Drinking water abundantly is a way to secure intestinal waste will not be hampered in the colon and will go out faster and easier. Furthermore, when the body draws water from the feces, the waste is more difficult to evacuate and, in most cases, this cause painful evacuation.
– Lack of physical exercise. Exercise helps undertake the peristaltic movements.
– Absence of regular bowel habits. To get this habit we have to get used to empty the bowels as soon as we feel the need. Many people get a lazy intestine because the break the habit of defecating when they need it. Rush and stress of modern life are important factors that can cause this lack of dedication. This type of constipation is very common in young children who, motivated by the game, forget going to the toilet when they feel the need to void their excrements.
– The abuse of laxatives: People who tend to evacuate the intestine through laxatives usually develop lazy bowels, so they have to turn to laxatives in order to be able to defecate.
– Ingestion of certain medications: These include antidepressants, antacids, antispasmodic, etc.
– Hemorrhoids: The pain produced by the presence of hemorrhoids is the reason why some people do not want to evacuate. This retention, will generally carry out constipation in time.
Constipation prevention: How to prevent constipation?
Among the main tips that can prevent the onset of constipation we can mention the following:
– Give time priority to the real need of daily defecation.
– Do not obsess with the idea of being constipated.
– Do some daily physical exercise according to your possibilities.
– Increase your liquid consumption.
– Get out of the habit of taking laxatives.
– Change your eating habits to adopt a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
A change in diet and habits is usually enough to solve the problem of constipation. However, medical help is needed in the following cases:
– When there are changes in the rate of deposition an these changes are maintained for some time.
– When deposition has become painful or there is some blood in them.
– When a sudden constipation occurs together with a big abdominal pain.
– When there is an alternation of constipation or diarrhea.
– When constipation lasts more than three days and the applied remedies did not worked.
The natural treatment of constipation involves the use of a series of natural resources that will help prevent or solve the problem.
More information about constipation natural treatment.
Characteristics of constipation