Herbal treatment for kidney infection
Phytotherapy. Preparations with plants for the diseases of the kidneys
The primary role of phytotherapy in the problem of kidney infections is to use those plants whose purpose will result in:
- Use plants with antibiotic properties that prevent infection or help to eliminate the microorganisms causing the infection.
- Use anti-inflammatory plants that reduce inflammation (nephritis) that appears as a result of infections.
- Use plants with diuretic properties that increase urine output will facilitate the removal of microorganisms.
Internal use remedies for kidney infections
We can use curative herbs to prevent or treat kidney infections. The most important medicinal plants are the following:
Bearberry fruits and leaves
- Bearberry or uva ursi: (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) (Consult toxicity) Uva ursi is one of the most common remedies used to treat urinary tract ailments. It is used primarily in cases of infections caused by bacteria. But for this to take place, it is necessary for our urine to be less acidic as possible.
This is the reason why the treatments carried out by this plant are often combined with the ingestion of bicarbonate to neutralize the acidity of urine, making it more alkaline. So it is appropriate for the treatment of diseases such as inflammation of the urethra (urethritis), of the bladder (cystitis), urinary tract irritation and acts on the need to urinate repeatedly that these urinary conditions generate.
These effects should be attributed to arbutin that becomes hydroquinone when in contact with the intestinal flora in addition to its high tannin content (about 15 to 20%) which act on the secretions of pus that generate these diseases.
How to take bearberry to treat a kidney infection?
Take one of the following preparations:
- Cold maceration for 4 hours of four teaspoons of shredded dried leaves per liter of water. Drink three glasses a day. (Avoid macerating the leaves in hot water, because this will release a high quantity of tannins)
- 20 drops of fluid extract twice a day
- Crush several leaves and take 2 teaspoons a day. (Can be mixed with honey to make it more enjoyable)
- Mixed infusion of half a spoonful of goldenrod and a half of bearberry in a glass of water for 10 minutes. A couple of cups a day.
- Blueberry: (Vaccinium myrtillus) Like the bearberry, this plant juice acidifies the urine and prevents bacteria from developing in it. Treatments based on a daily glass of cranberry juice for two or three months have been quite effective in the treatment of this disease. Likewise, the cranberries (Vaccinium macrocarpon) are used for this purpose. Also cranberries (Vaccinium macrocarpon) are used for this purpose with such a strong power as bearberry, but less irritating.
Garlic is one of the best remedies to fight bacteria in the kidneys
- Garlic: (Allium sativum) Being one of best natural antibiotics, the habitual ingestion of garlic can prevent the bacterial infections of the excretory system.
- Onion: (Allium cepa) like garlic, it constitutes another natural antibiotic. Eating raw onions is usually a way to boost the immune system and prevent the development of germs.
- Parsley: (Petroselinum crispum) It is one of the best diuretics – it increases urination – so it is useful to prevent kidney stones formation, allowing the expulsion of the sand through the urine before it has settled and compact in the form of a calculus. (Decoction of one teaspoon of dried root. Let stand for one quarter of an hour and take a couple of cups a day) (Squeeze the tender plant and take a couple of tablespoons a day. juice is also sold in pharmacies and herbalists)
- Nettle: (Urtica dioica) Another plant very suitable to increase urine output so that, like parsley, it can help prevent stone formation or promote the expulsion of these when they are small.
Dandelion leaves are and excellent remedy to increase urination, preventing renal infections. You can eat them raw in salads or prepare infusions with dry leaves.
- Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) this is a plant that over stimulates the production of urine, to the extent that the common Catalan name is ” pixallits” (= It pisses beds) refers to this aspect. Hence, iIts use is appropriate in cases where it is interesting to eliminate as much water – dropsy and obesity – and in those where it is essential to eliminate toxins from the blood – cholesterol, uric acid, diabetes, etc.
By increasing urine, it encourages expulsion of kidney stones (Infusion of dried leaves. Take 3 cups a day. The same infusion can also be done with the mixture of leaves and roots.
More information on renal infections.