- 1 Benefits of melatonin
- 1.1 PROPERTIES OF MELATONINE
- 1.2 Melatonin supplements
- 1.3 THERAPEUTIC USES OF MELATONIN
- 1.4 Melatonin for sleep disorders
- 1.5 Is melatonin an antioxidant?
- 1.6 Is melatonin good against cancer?
- 1.7 Melatonin against Parkinson’s or AIDS
- 1.8 Melatonin for solar radiation?
- 1.9 Toxicity and contraindications of melatonin
Benefits of melatonin
PROPERTIES OF MELATONINE
Melatonin is used therapeutically in the form of supplements.
These are usually in the form of pills or tablets in doses of 1 to 3 mg. which, placed under the tongue, can be absorbed quickly.
THERAPEUTIC USES OF MELATONIN
Among the main medicinal uses of melatonin we can mention the following:
Melatonin for sleep disorders
Espirulina pills. Supplements of spirulina contain melatonin
It has been proven that the use of melatonin supplements can prevent the onset of certain sleep disorders or facilitate their recovery. Among the main uses we have the following:
- Insomnia: The use of melatonin promotes sleep and can be considered as a good treatment against insomnia (Use melatonin supplements sold in pharmacies or shops of natural products.) The usual dose is 1 to 3 mg taken half an hour before go to sleep, the dream begins to take effect after half an hour or three quarters of an hour after taking the dose)
- Alterations of sleep produced by shift changes at work: Workers who routinely change work shifts from day to night may experience problems falling asleep.The use of this supplement can facilitate more easily the possibility of falling asleep (nurses, drivers, transporters, security bodies, etc.). (Use melatonin supplements sold in pharmacies or natural products stores (The usual dose is 1 to 3 mg taken half an hour before going to sleep. It begins to take effect after half an hour or three quarters of an hour after taking the dose)
- Jet lag: To avoid or treat jet lag, people who travel by plane, pilots or crew can take melatonin supplements. (Take 1 to 3 mg of this supplement before bed the night before the day of the trip and the two nights after it)Other external factors, such as the presence of more or less light depending on the season or temperature, condition the production of melatonin.
- Other sleep disturbances: Although there are no fully tested studies, some specialists suggest that melatonin supplementation could have a positive effect on sleep conciliation in people who have trouble sleeping due to certain disorders, such as sleep disturbances. Alzheimer’s, sleep disorders due to depression, sleep disorders due to schizophrenia or sleeping problems in patients with asthma.
Is melatonin an antioxidant?
Most studies on the antioxidant properties of melatonin are carried out on animal studies. However, there are some studies that could justify its validity in people. Thus, for example, a Dutch study showed that melatonin protects against the development of breast cancer by being able to inhibit estrogen.
In another study conducted in people in Italy it was suggested that this component can protect cardiovascular health, preventing the onset of circulatory diseases such as arteriosclerosis, heart attacks or strokes.
Despite this, most of the specialists do not recommend this product for its use as a general antioxidant, since they consider that there are still not enough studies in people to justify its generalized use.
Is melatonin good against cancer?
Due to its antioxidant properties, it has been considered that melatonin could be useful as a coadjuvant in the treatment of cancer. However, further studies are needed to test its effectiveness before using it for support with other medications. Nor is totally what are their properties regarding the treatment of cancer with chemotherapy.
Melatonin against Parkinson’s or AIDS
Similarly, there are not enough studies to justify its use as a remedy for Parkinson’s or AIDS.
Melatonin for solar radiation?
It is not completely proven that melatonin adequately protects against sun rays, so it is recommended to use a suitable sunscreen or use other remedies for sunburn.
Toxicity and contraindications of melatonin
Melatonin is not free of contraindications since it interferes with other medications or remedies. Also in some cases there are adverse reactions that must be taken into account.
Do not forget that its use can cause drowsiness so it must be prudent when the person who ingests it must drive, perform dangerous work or be mentally wide awake.
More information on melatonin .
26 June, 2023