Mustard sauce recipe and properties
TRADITIONAL DIJON MUSTARD SAUCE RECIPE
Ingredients for traditional Dijon mustard sauce
- Mustard seeds (mixture): 40 g. Indian mustard seeds (Brassica juncea), 60 g. white mustard seeds (Sinapis alba)
- 120 ml. wine vinegar
- lemon juice
Traditional Dijon mustard sauce preparation
Photo of Dijon mustard
- Soak mustard seeds overnight with wine. Allow seeds to be hydrated for 12 hours in a refrigerator.
- Grind the above mixture until the grains are crushed completely. The thinner the remaining mixture, the thicker mustard will be. Let stand 20 minutes in refrigerator.
- Cook the mixture over low or medium heat, uncovered, so that the spirit of the wine and vinegar can evaporate. Add 1 tablespoon of salt. Add vinegar if necessary. Bake for 2030 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mustard contains a type of fiber called mucilage, with emollient effect, that, combined with vinegar, forms a gel. The gel provides the ideal solution for this sauce texture.
- When we get the thick mass, remove it from heat and let it cool.
- Add lemon juice and stir well.
- Add salt.
This is the traditional mustard, although you can lower its strong flavor using only white mustard, or combining it with herbs.
THE SECRET TO PREPARE MUSTARD SAUCE
Onlookers observing the product before using mustard seeds may notice that, surprisingly, whole mustard seeds do not have any aroma.
In order that mustard seeds can give off the flavor, they should be crushed and mixed with an aqueous liquid.
Only in this manner (by adding liquid) the two components, sinigrin and myrosinase, react resulting mustard oil (allyl isothiocyanate).
Allyl isothiocyanate is the substance that gives the pungent aroma and pungency of mustard.
However, sauces prepared with water deteriorate very quickly.
In mustard sauces vinegar is used because it delays the breakdown of these substances, preserving the aroma of mustard seeds longer.
What are the properties of traditional Dijon mustard sauce?
Mustard sauce is a strong seasoning that should be consumed in small quantities.
The aromatic components of mustard stimulate gastric secretions, so this sauce is an excellent snack. Also for this reason it has been used to combine with dishes difficult to digest, especially to accompany game meats.
However, its spicy and intense flavor is a warning for delicate stomachs: indeed, mustard is mildly irritating to the digestive mucosa, so those who suffer from heartburn, dyspepsia or digestive ulcers should avoid consuming it.
More information on mustard.
20 May, 2022