GUAVA “CASCOS CONFITADOS” RECIPE
– 2 – 3kg. guava
– 1 – 1.5 kg. brown sugar. The sugar quantities depend on each person’s palate. Some recipes add the same amount of sugar than guava.
– Lemon juice
– Clean guavas.
– Peel guavas carefully, trying to preserve their “helmet shape” (forma de cascos, hence the Spanish title)
– Cut the guavas in half and, with the help of a spoon, drain the fleshy inside (where the seeds) are and set aside. This pulp we can be used to make a shake or juice, but not for this recipe.
– Boil guava helmets and strain.
– Put them in a saucepan with sugar and water (to cover). Add the lemon juice, cinnamon, cardamom and spices to taste.
– Remove carefully to prevent fruit from sticking.
– Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, or when the juice is with the desired texture.
– Serve as a dessert. In some regions, it is served with fresh cheese or cottage cheese.
18 April, 2021