Lipoic acid properties
PROPERTIES OF LIPOIC ACID
Characteristics of lipoic acid
Alpha-lipoic acid, also known as thioctic acid or lipoic acid, is a coenzyme; for some time was considered a vitamin. This acid is produced by the body itself so can not be regarded as a true vitamin or essential nutrient.
The properties of this component as a participant in energy production and as an antioxidant in recent years have been increasingly praised.
It is said that the antioxidant properties of this component is much stronger than those of such well-known as vitamin C or vitamin A. Even as it has been shown capable of renewing antioxidants in the body by increasing its power.
Properties of lipoic acid:
The main properties are:
- Antioxidants properties, with the capacity of neutralizing the negative effects of free radicals.
Where can I find?
- Animal sources of lipoic acid: The main source is animal beef liver, but can be found in all meats.
-Lipoic acid plant sources: Among the main sources have green leafy vegetables, primarily the spinach and cabbage, and whole grains. Brewer's yeast is very rich.
- Natural sources of lipoic acid: The body is capable of lipoic acid in their own bodies. This is the main reason it does not consider this principle as a true vitamin.
- Lipoic acid supplementation: Besides food, this component can be purchased through supplements, in capsules or tablets.
Medicinal properties of lipoic acid
Normally a varied diet is sufficient to meet the daily demands of this component. There are however some situations where it may be necessary to increase the daily dose.
Supplementation of this vitamin is useful in the following ailments:
- Diabetic Neuropathy: It has been shown that ingestion of lipoic acid supplements can be very useful in people with diabetes with an uncontrolled diabetic neuropathy with consequent damage to the nervous system cells. This supplement can slow the progression of the disease and helps to stabilize glucose levels in the blood by promoting the action of insulin. (Usual dose is 600 mg per day split into 3 doses)
- It helps to improve liver health: The use of lipoic acid improves the conditions of the diseased liver. It is used in diseases such as cirrhosis or hepatitis. You can prevent the negative effects of ingestion of toxic products that can lead to either disease or even liver cancer. ((200 mg daily divided into 2 doses daily with 1000 mg vitamin C and 400 IU daily of vitamin E)
- It helps to improve Alzheimer: lipoic acid may be useful in preventing the development of Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia senile, though no definitive evidence on this issue.
Latest studies: the hypothesis that this supplement for its antioxidant properties, could be useful in the treatment of degenerative diseases such as cancer, cataracts or chronic fatigue syndrome is being studied. Although some animal experiments have yielded positive results, still must be very prudent in its use in people.
Lipoic acid toxicity
None reported cases of toxicity in the use of this supplement in doses up to 600 mg daily. But some people have shown intolerance reactions in the skin eruptions.
Should not be administered in pregnant or lactating. Diabetics should be routine analysis should take this supplement to keep your blood sugar level drops too low. A doctor should be consulted about the convenience of use if you are already under some medication.
LIST OF VITAMINS
More information about vitamins in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.