Cinnamon from China
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF CHINESE CINNAMON
Cinnamon from China or Cassia as a medicinal plant
Cinnamom from China (Cinnamomum cassia Blume = Cinnamomum aromaticum) comes from China and Indonesia. It is a tree up to 15 m and with very distinctive red bark. It is the species most commonly used in America as opposed to the Ceylon cinnamon that is used more in Europe.
Its medicinal properties are similar to this, especially in regard to its digestive properties and its antiseptic properties for external use. In Chinese medicine it is used more often than true cinnamon.
Cinnamon medicinal uses
- Digestive System: Cinnamon possesses carminative, anti-ulcer, stomach and antiemetic properties. The digestive properties of this plant are produced by essential oils containing dispersing properties of food. Likewise, these oils are responsible for stimulating saliva and gastric juices to facilitate digestion. These virtues are used for the treatment of digestive abnormalities such as:
Used externally, cinnamon is used primarily as an antiseptic for the treatment of diseases related to bacteria and fungi. External application has been interesting in conditions such as:
- Vaginal Infections: infections of the vagina has been very useful, being able to neutralize those that are produced by yeasts, particularly those caused by Candida albicans. (vaginal lavage fluid resulting from the infusion of a spoonful of cinnamon branch shredded in a liter of water.)
- Fungi in feet and nails: These same properties are useful in treating foot fungi, especially in the so-called athlete's foot and nail fungus. (Make a foot bath with the liquid from the infusion of two teaspoons of cinnamon broken up into a couple of liters of water.)
- Mouth ulcers: In case of mouth ulcers, make mouthwashes with the previous preparation.
- Bad breath: The coumarins and vanilla have bacteriostatic properties which precludes the development of bacteria in the leftover food from the mouth and prevent halitosis. Keep in mind that cinnamon contains about 50 aromatic components, mainly for its rich in terpenes. (Perform rinses off liquid from the infusion of a couple of tablespoons of cinnamon shredded per liter of water) Do not ingest.
Specific medicinal properties of China cinnamon
Recent studies seem to show that its use may be very appropriate in the treatment of diabetes. In its content in polyphenols, the daily treatment, between 3 and 6 grams of China cinnamon crust helps reduce sugar levels in patients of diabetes of type II, or non insulin-dependent diabetes.
According to some studies, cinnamon from China determined that the body does not need so much insulin to metabolize glucose. At the same time it is also shown to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides. Its use in reducing hypertension has not been proved.
In studies on mice it was found that China cinnamon, taken in tea, can protect against stomach ulcers, but it has not been demonstrated whether these same properties can also be applied to humans.
Is China cinnamon safe
The use of preparations of cinnamon is contraindicated in pregnant or lactating women. Its use stimulates the movements of the uterus which can cause abortions.
Women who wish to become pregnant should not take it because it is believed to have contraceptive properties. In fact, in India, the women take it after childbirth to delay a possible pregnancy.
Also not to be given to children under two years.
The essential oil obtained by distilling the leaves or the inner bark of this plant. The cinnamon leaf oil should only be administered under medical supervision. Its use may be responsible for the occurrence of digestive problems or kidney. In external use, it should be diluted and should be used with caution to avoid irritation.
More information on cinnamon in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.