What is the potato virus X ?
The potato virus X or PVX is a disease of the plants of viral character.
To which plants does the potato virus X affect?
It is a virus that infects Solanaceae such as potatoes, peppers and tomatoes or other wild herbs of the same family.
How does the potato virus X manifest itself?
Sometimes it has no symptoms, except a minor development of the plants. However, in other cases, it is combined with the potato virus Y to produce worse effects than the latter. Among the most characteristic symptoms are:
- Speckled leaves.
- Smaller florets
- Little growth of the plant
- Necrosis of the tubers
How is the potato virus X transmitted from the potato?
The transmission takes place through insects that eat the tubers or through contact with contaminated hands or tools
How is the potato virus X treated?
- It has no treatment.
- There are also no resistant varieties to this type of mosaic, so it is necessary to adopt an adequate prevention to prevent infection.
- Clean your hands and disinfect your clothes and tools (Introduce them for half an hour in a 3% preparation of trisodium phosphate. You can also use soap and water
- Dip your hands in milk while handling the seedlings for the microorganisms to get stuck in it .
- Eliminate infected plants as soon as possible.
- Clean your hands before handling healthy plants.
More information on plant viruses and other diseases
This article was endorsed by Julián Masats - Technical agricultural engineer specialized in horticulture and gardening.
Written by Editorial Botanical-online team in charge of content writing
12 June, 2019