Types of trees to plant
What is a potted tree?
A “potted” tree is a little tree ready to be planted. It is planted inside a pot that has to be refused when planted again in the ground.
A potted pear tree
What is a root ball tree?
A root ball tree is one that is prepared for planting with the mass of soil adhering to their roots. The soil and the roots form a compact mass, larger than the bare root.
Pots trees or root ball trees can be planted throughout the year, except when the ground is frozen, flooded or in periods of drought or high heat
They are different to “bare root ” trees. A bare root tree is a little tree ready to be planted. It does not contain the mass of soil adhering to roots. Although it may have some adhering soil, its roots stand out clearly giving the appearance of a tangle or hair. bare-root trees can be planted only after late autumn and throughout winter, provided there are no frosts. (More information on “Planting a bare root tree“)
How to plant a potted tree or a root ball tree?
After the previous preparation steps, we began the process of planting. We must follow the following steps:
– First we will remove the plastic around the root ball.
– In the case of a potted tree, it should be separated from the pot to let the root ball free of the pot.
– We will not generally prune the roots, even if it is necessary to eliminate those who are sick or broken. It is not advisable to cut the branches unless these are too long.
– Once marked the places and the planting trees ready, we will began the process of planting, following these steps:
– Dig a hole with diameter of 1 / 3 larger than the size of the roots. Mix the excavated soil with compost and well-rotted manure. Usually between 2 and four kilos of it will be enough, though, depending on the size of the hole, and the richness of the soil you could need up to eight or ten kilos per hole.
– Dug a stake about 50 cm deep and about 8 cm from the center. This stake will be used as a tutor to direct the tree growth and protect it from the wind.
– Extend a rod on the hole with a length greater than the hole diameter. Put the center of the rod to a distance of approximately 8 cm from the center of the hole.
– Taking the cane as a guide, place the tree in the middle trying to settle the part where the roots begin to grow to the same height than the rod, that’s to say, to the ground level. Keep in mind that the graft point should be at least about 10 cm above the rod.
– Cover it with previously prepared soil by placing it on the roots. Squeeze it to remove the air, without pushing too hard.
– Ensure to form a circle around the tree about 80 or 100 cm wide and about 4 fingers deep.
In this small depression rainwater or irrigation water will accumulate, and allow the specimen to have a higher humidity.
– Do not press the soil hard with your feet. Pressing hard with one’s feet is sometimes responsible for poor root production.
– Trees planted in pot or root ball do not need to be subjected to any type of “goop” before planting it because they have a proper grounding.
– Finally, it is desirable to protect the stem base, with a net, mesh or other of the many devices on the market. This protection will prevent rabbits, hares, mice or other rodents can gnaw and remove the crust.
These planting techniques correspond to any type of tree.
More information about fruit trees.
1 December, 2021