Consequences of taking elder
What are the side effects of using elder as a medicinal or edible plant?
- Dermatitis by contact with the fresh plant.
- Increased urination due to the diuretic properties of the plant.
- Increase in the rhythm of bowel movements since elderberry has a laxative effect.
- Allergy: people can have allergy to dog rose.
- Digestive problems: If immature fruits are ingested, with certain content of cyanogenetic glycosides, digestive symptoms such as such as vomiting, heartburn, gastralgia, belly pain, increased depositional rhythm or diarrhea. In high doses elderberry has a purgative effect.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
A safe dose of elderberry has not been established to take during pregnancy and lactation. In the absence of toxicological studies on its effects, it is recommended not to take this plant.
More information on elder
22 October, 2019