Soup with lime recipe
It is a vegetarian adaptation to the traditional lime soup consumed in the province of Yucatan, Mexico. In the original recipe soup is usually made with chicken and chicken broth.
– 1 onion
– 1kg. of tomatoes for juice (or tomato sauce)
– 2 liters of vegetable stock
– Textured Soy Protein
– Juice of 5 limes
– Olive oil or high oleic sunflower oil for frying
– 6 corn tortillas
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 1 habanero chile, seeded, chopped (wash your hands after being in contact with chili)
– In a skillet, fry the corn tortillas into strips. When they start to brown, lower the heat to avoid burning the oil.
– Remove and let the pancakes fried on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
– In a bowl, hydrate the textured soy with a little lime juice.
– In a pot, use some of the above oil to fry the onions over medium heat.
– When the onion is poached, add the garlic and spices: pepper, cinnamon and cloves. Stir over medium heat 3 minutes.
– Add the tomato juice and stir.
– Pour the broth, textured soy protein and salt.
– Cover and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
– Add the lime juice.
– Serve with chopped cilantro on top.
More information on lime.
22 April, 2019