What are hemp seeds?
Hemp seeds are seeds that are extracted from the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa).
They are small seeds, between 3 and 5 mm., elliptic, smooth and with a very hard shell, which costs to chew. For human consumption, they are sold peeled, without this hard shell.
In a ration of this food, most of the daily necessities of these components are provided. It is recommended to take 3 tablespoons of peeled hemp daily as a nutritional supplement.
Taste of hemp seeds
Its flavor is pleasant and sweet, similar to almonds. They are eaten peeled, raw, without salt and without roasting, because its taste is good and because, this way, they retain better their benefits, vitamins and minerals.
NUTRITIONAL COMPOSITION OF HEMP SEEDS PER 100 g.
|polyunsaturated fats (g.)||36,8|
|of which, sugar (g.)||1,7|
Properties of hemp seeds
Hemp seeds have been used in medicine and food since antiquity: They are cited in ancient treatises of Chinese Medicine, in the time of the Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD), and are part of the list of 50 fundamental herbs Of Chinese Medicine. In Nepal, hemp seeds were used to produce food oil (hemp seed oil).
In the West, they are used for bird feed, although in many parts of Asia, hemp seeds are a widely consumed food for centuries.
Medicinal uses of hemp seeds
The main medicinal uses of hemp seeds are:
- Constipation: From ancient times until today, cannabis seeds are prescribed by Chinese doctors against constipation, because of their laxative effects and the regulating effect of fiber.
- Antiinflammatories: Hemp seeds provide essential omega3 and omega6 fats. These types of fats are called essential because the body can not manufacture them and must be supplied in the diet. From these substances, the body can manufacture natural antiinflammatories, and relieve pain.
Hemp seeds are recommended for arthritis, dermatitis and other inflammatory diseases. Also to women with menstrual pain, which also gives them good doses of iron necessary during the fertile age, to prevent anemia.
- Reconstituent: It is a restorative nutritional supplement because it provides the proteins necessary for the body to recover. Scientific studies show that these proteins contain all the essential amino acids, and that, in addition, they are easy to digest.
For all this reason, hemp seeds are a good protein supplement for vegetarians, athletes, people with a lot of stress or fatigue. Three tablespoons of hemp seeds daily (distributed 1 tablespoon in each meal of the day) provide 10 grams of protein daily, plus much magnesium.
- Athletes: Diet, along with exercise, are the two basic pillars for good health. Hemp seeds contains vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects against premature aging.
Vitamin E is also called heart vitamin because it is imperative for a healthy heart. Along with vitamin E, omega 3 also contributes to the good health of the cardiovascular system.
Another reason for athletes to introduce hemp seeds into their diet is magnesium. If the recommended daily dose of magnesium is 350 mg, 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds already supply more than 40% of the requirements of this mineral (30 grams of hemp seeds contribute 147 mg of magnesium). Magnesium intervenes in muscle relaxation and is the second mineral constituent of bones.
- Otitis: In ancient treatises, it is known that the juice of the seeds (hemp seed oil), was used for ear pain.
Are hemp seeds narcotic?
No, hemp seeds contain virtually no cannabis, nor the major narcotic component of marijuana, D-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (commonly called THC). For these reasons, hemp seeds are not a drug, nor do they produce the hypnotic effects of marijuana.
However, some studies report that cannabiols have been found in the urine because of the ingestion of hemp seed oil.
More information on hemp seeds and other seeds.
2 May, 2020