What is a savory plant (Satureja hortensis)
Characteristics of savory plant
General aspect of the plant
Common English name: Summer savory
Scientific name of the savory: Satureja hortensis L.
Family:Labiatae or Lamiaceae
Origin: plant native to the Mediterranean region.
Habitat: Annual plant that is usually cultivated in pot, gardens, orchards, etc.
Rarely wild. Old farmland. It can grow between 0 and 1,000m. high. It is said that with altitude it loses essential oil.
Distribution: Mediterranean Sea region, Black Sea, Central Europe, Southern Europe, Asia Minor and Siberia.
Description of Savory
Herbaceous annual plant, measuring between 15-20, up to 60cm. It has many ramifications. Stems erect and woody.
Leaves alternate, composite, petiolated (short petiole), linear-lanceolate and grayish green. Whole margins.
Flowers bilabiate, of 2-6mm. And pale pink color. They grow in bouquets of 2 in 2. it blooms between June and August, until October.
Satureja hortensis. Detail of a branch with leaves and flower
In fact, under the name savory, two species of different plants are hidden: the summer savory (Satureja hortensis), a generally cultivated species, and the winter savory (Satureja montana) a species that is only found in the wild. Both species share their food and therapeutic properties. They can be distinguished because the garden species is annual, while the mountain or wild one is perennial.
* More information on winter savory
They are also used in decoctions, plasters and compresses for medicinal purposes.
Composition of savory
– Essential oil (0.2 – 2.8%): carvacrol (30-40%), cymol (10-20%), thymol (1-5%), beta-terpinene (2-10%). Savory also contains other aromas, to a lesser extent: alpha-pinene, alpha-terpinene, alpha-terpineol, borneol, camphene, geraniol, limonene, myrcene, sabinene, thuyone.
– Phenolic acids: caffeic, siringeic, vanillic, parahydroxybenzenoic, paracumaric, ferulic, rosmarinic (labiatic) acids.
– Phytosterols: beta-sitosterol.
– Tannins (4-8%)
– Flavonoids: (apigenin, scutelarine, etc.)
More information on savory.
2 July, 2021