How to treat plant diseases
Plant diseases of tomatoes due to lack or excess of nutrients
Among the main ones are the following:
- Rolled leaves: As a result of too high humidity or excessive pruning.
- «Cracking» or cracks in the fruit (tomato cracking): It can be produced by the excess of temperature combined with the lack of humidity. It may also be due to irrigation problems.
- Fall of the flowers or fruits: It can also be produced by the excess of temperature combined with the lack of humidity. Low temperatures can produce the same results
- Malformations in fruits: Excess of chemical products, especially phytoregulators. Among these the most important are the auxins that are intended to produce the fruit set. They are used by wetting the inflorescences 1 or 2 times. When the instructions are not followed properly they can produce the aforementioned malformations.
- Hollow fruit: Excess of chemical products, especially phytoregulators. Fertilization problems of flowers.
- Tomato sunburn: Excess of solar radiation produces white spots, with an inferior watery texture.
- Weak yellowish green leaves: Lack of nitrogen.
- Premature drying of flowers: Deficiencies of phosphorus.
- Tardiness in the formation and opening of flowers: Deficiencies of phosphorus
- Yellowish white leaves with spots: Lack of magnesium.
Other diseases of tomatoes
Besides diseases caused by lack or excess of nutrients, tomatoes can show the following types of diseases:
- Diseases of tomatoes caused by fungi
- Diseases of tomatoes caused by viruses
- Diseases of tomatoes produced by bacteria
Tomatoes can also be affected by numerous plagues, such as tomato rust, aphids, etc ( More information on tomato plagues)
More information on tomatoes cultivation
4 May, 2023