Which foods contain a lot of citrulline?
Among the foods that contain citrulline, there are the following:
Food of animal origin rich in citrulline
- Fish (Salmon, grouper, sardine, mackerel, etc.)
- Meat (chicken, pork, veal, etc.)
- Milk and dairy products, especially cheese and protein supplements made with milk powder (whey protein)
Plant-based food rich in citrulline
Among the vegetable sources rich in citrulline, we include:
- Fruits: Watermelon, melon, cherimoya, soursop, cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins, asparagus, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, peppers, okra, eggplant, chayotes, tomatoes, onions, …
- Legumes (soybeans and derivatives, lentils, etc.)
- Nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc.)
Although you can take citrulline supplements, it is recommended to cover the needs of this amino acid through a balanced diet. In case of supplementation it is advisable to consult with the specialist doctor beforehand.
More information on citrulline and amino acids
21 January, 2021