BREAD WITH TOMATO
What is bread with tomato recipe?
Bread with tomato (=Pa amb tomàquet, in Catalan) is a typical recipe consumed in the territory of Catalonia, Aragon and the Balearic Islands in Spain.
It is a variant of the bread with oil converted into traditional recipe, served as a starter, at breakfast or snack.
Bread with tomato is a nutritious and healthy recipe:
Properties of bread with tomato
– Bread provides us quality energy from carbohydrates and it is easy to digest. This has been a staple for generations, and it is the basis of food in the Mediterranean diet. It is rich in B vitamins, essential in the diet of children and students.
– The extra virgin olive oil renders aromatic flavor to the bread, in addition to its health benefits.
Olive oil is a good source of Omega 9 and phenolic compounds. Its use is associated with lower incidence of certain cancers, lower risk of cardiovascular disease and it is a preventative food against degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and senile dementia.
– The tomato is a fruit that came from America and was introduced in the Mediterranean diet. It is very famous because of its lycopene content, a type of food coloring with anticancer properties, suitable for cholesterol and circulation. Due to its richness in lycopene, tomato bread is healthier than eatin only bread with oil.
Photo of bread with tomato
BREAD WITH TOMATO RECIPE
– Cut the tomatoes crosswise to release the juice.
– Spread the tomatoes over the bread.
– Dress with extra virgin olive oil.
– Typically served as a starter or accompaniment of grilled vegetables, cheese board, etc..
* Related information: Mediterranean diet characteristics.
More information about Mediterranean diet.