What is farinata?
farinata is a kind of pancake or cake that is based on chickpea flour, olive oil, salt and pepper.
It is a typical dish of Italian cuisine, but it can also be found elsewhere.
In Argentina and Uruguay it is known by the name of fainá. This dish was brought to America by the Genoese immigrants.
– 4 cups water
– 2 cups of chickpea flour.
– 5 tablespoons olive oil.
– 40 g of Parmesan cheese.
– 2 tablespoons grated onion.
– Pour the chickpea flour in a bowl and add water. Stir constantly until mixture forms a smooth paste without lumps.
– Add the cheese and onion and keep the mixture stand for about three hours. It can even be left overnight.
– After that, remove with a spatula the milky surface layer and add the olive oil.
– Place the mixture in a mold so as to form a layer of half a centimeter or slightly less.. Heat on the oven to 250 º C.
– Bake for 60 minutes. You can check that it is ready when it begins to get golden in the corners.
– Remove from oven, sprinkle with pepper to taste.
How to serve: Serve hot on a dish one divided in triangular pieces.
More information about chickpeas in the listing above