Benefits of fiber supplements
FIBER SUPPLEMENTS CHARACTERISTICS
When to take fiber supplements?
There are certain circumstances when we should take fiber supplements. For example:
- When through the daily diet it is very difficult or impossible to take enough fiber
- When special needs are required, such as in constipation, cholesterol, or diseases of the colon.
What are the main fiber supplements?
The main fiber supplements are:
Psyllium seeds supplement
- Psyllium powder: The usual dose is one teaspoon diluted in a glass of water twice a day.
- Psyllium capsules: The maximum dose is set to 30 gr. daily, divided into 3 doses, the most common being about 10 gr. daily.
- Psyllium seeds: Can be purchased at stores or pharmacies and can be eaten mixed with food, yogurt, for example in the morning, adding a tablespoon and a teaspoon in the afternoon with juice.(See contraindications in the general study of the psyllium)
Agar agar supplement
- Agar agar: Food obtained from oriental seaweed. It is used in the food industry because its high content of mucilage absorbs much water, so it has the ability to thicken foods. In fact it is known as “vegetable gelatin” and can be found in many foods prepared industrially.
It may be in the form of sheets completely tasteless, with clear color or with red tones. This kind of laminated strips are put to soak and can be served in salads. They are very decorative and have many properties. If you do not like to eat them, they are also sold as a powder or in flakes.
The dose required to have a therapeutic effect is around 25 gr. weekly. You must buy algae trusted establishments to prevent algae from selling us contaminated with chemicals from polluted seas.
Agar agar supplement
- Glucomannan is a type of fiber from the tuber Amorphophallus konjac, native of India. This product has the ability to swell more than double its volume. It is used for weight loss diets for their ability to suppress hunger and prevent the absorption of calories. Also useful in cases of constipation, lowering cholesterol or in the diet of diabetics to regulate levels of blood sugar in patients with diabetes.
It can be taken in the form of powder that is inserted into capsules so that they be can swallowed better. The usual dose is usually about 600 mg daily divided into two doses daily one hour before eating.
Do not take in certains conditions of the intestine. In persons unaccustomed it can also cause intestinal problems. (Gas, bloating, abdominal pain, etc.) Do not take higher doses than the recommended or with other fiber supplements.
Wheat bran supplement
- Cereal Bran: It can be from wheat, rice or oats. Wheat bran is used habitually to fight constipation and to alleviate hunger in the diet to lose weight.
Subsequent studies have shown that regular ingestion of large amounts of bran could be counterproductive. We must be prudent in the use of raw bran, because, in addition to inhibiting the absorption of minerals, it can cause bloating, flatulence, heaviness of stomach or other more serious bowel diseases.
Oats bran contains great amounts of soluble fiber. Its ingestion is very suitable for the treatment of diabetes (its absorption regulates the sugar levels in the blood) and cholesterol (It absorbs the cholesterol of the intestine)
What should we take into account when taking fiber supplements?
When you are conducting diets involving the ingestion of high fiber plant, either through food or especially through supplements, it is recommended to drink plenty of water – at least two liters a day – to prevent intestinal obstruction.
Usually these supplements take effect in a period between 12 and 24 hours after ingestion.
More information on fiber.
9 November, 2021