What foods contain a lot of methionine?
LIST OF FOODS WITH A LOT OF METHIONINE
Foods that contain a lot of methionine are the following:
* Meat products rich in methionine
- Milk and dairy products, especially cheese and protein supplements made from milk powder (whey protein)
- Eggs, meat (chicken, pork, beef, etc)
- Fish (salmon, halibut, sardines, mackerel, etc.)
* Plant foods rich in methionine
Cereals contain a lot of methionine. When combined with milk, the methionine content is very high
Among the richest plant sources of methionine, include:
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts etc.): Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and pistachios contain a lot of methionine
- Seeds: Especially sesame and tahini.
- Cereals: rice, barley, oats, wheat and wheat products such as bread, flour, and especially seitan.
- Vegetables: spinach, buckwheat, watercress, purslane
Are legumes rich in methionine?
Legumes contain methionine, but not in sufficient quantity to mean an adequate supply of this amino acid. Methionine deficit of legumes, although being very rich in protein, such as soy and its derivatives, causes protein can not be profited properly.
To avoid this, combine legumes dishes (lupins, peas, beans, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts,…) with cereals, bread, nuts, sesame paste,… ( See : How to combine vegetable proteins )
* Related information:
List of amino acids in food
Essential amino acids
Nonessential amino acids
More information on amino acids.
26 December, 2021