Benefits of common rue
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF COMMON RUE
The following remedies have traditionally been used. Today this plant is not recommended in internal applications in any of the following uses.
Even used externally, it has a number of side effects that should be considered.
* More information: Rue Contraindications
Rue preparations for internal use
Illustration of a bunch of common rue with flowers
- Circulatory system: It is mainly used for its properties to tone the arteries and protect capillaries. This property would make it useful in treating certain diseases of the circulatory system: varicose veins, edema or circulation problems. (Drops of fluid extract. About 12 drops per day divided into two intakes)
- Digestive system: It is used in very dilute infusions (½ g per cup of water of dried plant or twice for tender plant). It exerts digestive properties helping to improve digestion and avoiding problems like indigestion, gas, heartburn, heavy stomach, etc.
- Female genital tract: Rue is one of the most powerful emmenagogues, that is tod say, it promotes menstruation with any of its preparations. Its action is due to its toxic principles – arborinin, graveolin, cytisine or methyl nonyl ketone.These principles result in increased blood flow to the uterus, causing forced menstruation.Women during pregnancy should not take this plant because it could cause abortion.
- Abortive plant: At the same time, any of these preparations with common rue is very dangerous for pregnant women because it can easily cause them abortions, so it should not be used under any circumstances during pregnancy because it is one of the best known abortifacient plants.
* More information about the side effects of common rue.
Preparations with common rue for external use
In external use it is rubefacient properties rue, ie, produces an outer skin redness.
It is used to relieve pain in shock, sprains, etc.
Also to reduce pain and inflammation in rheumatic diseases.
How to collect and preserve common rue
The leaves are harvested before flowering. The flowers, when they have formed buttons and before they open. During this time, it is when the plant is rich in essential oils.
Both, leaves and flowers, should be dried in the shade at temperatures not exceeding 35 ° C.
They will be stored in clean, dry containers, if possible in opaque ones, to be protected from light.
More information on common rue toxicity, side effects and contraindications.
3 March, 2022