What are triglycerides?
Triglycerides are fatty molecules circulating in the blood. Chemically they could be describes as large packages of fat.
Triglycerides are formed to store the excess of energy in the body. This means that this type of fat is formed from eating too many calories.
For example, if a sedentary person eats a big plate of pasta with sauce and cheese and accompanies it by bread, this excess of energy in the body will be converted to triglycerides.
The same happens if, doing little activity during the day, we take great sandwiches, with a lot of oil, cheese and some sausage.
Excessive dietary fat and carbohydrates are converted to triglycerides.
Excess of triglycerides becomes bad cholesterol or LDL.
|People with high triglycerides levels may also have high levels of LDL cholesterol.|
- Normal triglyceride levels are below 150mg/dl.
- High triglyceride levels are higher than 200mg./dl.
- Low triglyceride levels are considered below 100mg./dl
Pregnancy can alter the results. Check with your doctor to determine the cause of your triglycerides.
CAUSES OF HIGH TRIGLYCERIDES
CAUSES OF LOW TRIGLYCERIDES
|Diet rich in carbohydrates and sugars
Diet rich in oil or fat
Diabetes poorly controlled by drugs or poor nutrition
|Low fat diet
Picture of cauliflower.
Vegetables high in fiber are beneficial for treating triglycerides. They provide satiety and help purify and eliminate body fat.
One should eat a plate of vegetables daily.
Causes of high triglycerides
- Ingestion of large amounts of food in general, especially of foods high in carbohydrates like rice, pasta and bread.
- Diet rich in sugars: muffins, pastries, excess of fruit, juices, jams, pasta, refined grains, fructose, sugar, large quantities of milk, industrial products, sodas, colas, sweetened condensed milk, etc.
- Upper digestive capacity or lack of feeling full, such as it happens in very hungry people.
Ingestion of large amounts is usually the most common cause of high triglycerides.
Dangers of high triglycerides
- Triglycerides can cause arteriosclerosis.
- Problems of overweight and obesity. Obesity can have significant health impacts.
More information about cholesterol.
15 April, 2020