How to prepare canned lupins
Soak the dried lupins with plenty of water to hydrate them.
- We will keep them in water for at least 24 hours. (Add water when if there is not enough)
- Put the lupins in a pot with water until covered, with 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes.
- To soften them, you can optionally add a strip of Kombu seaweed in the cooking water (It does not leave flavor and due to its content of alginic and glutamic acid it helps to soften the vegetable fibers).
- Let cool and drain. (Remove the seaweed if you have used it).
- Prepare a mixture of water with approximately ⅓ of salt. Put the lupins in a container and cover with that solution.
- Store in the fridge and change the salted water every day for at least a week. Changing the water will make the legumes lose their bitterness (Taste until it is ready).
- They can be consumed for the next 10 days. They should not be eaten if they are too bitter, as that would indicate the presence of alkaloids.
More information on lupins
11 February, 2022