Eggs for children
EGGS FOR CHILDREN
What are eggs?
An egg is a type of food that come from birds.
Why are eggs important?
Eggs contain vitamin B, vitamin A and, in smaller quantities, vitamin D.
Eggs posses vitamin B12. Plant foods do not contain this vitamin, so that people who are strict vegetarians should take supplements to get it.
Lack of this vitamin causes a serious disease called anemia.
Photo of different types of eggs sold in the market. Many of them are considered environmentally friendly because they come from hens that have been fed only with plant products.
Types of eggs
There are different types of eggs, depending on the bird they come from: chicken eggs, quail eggs, ostrich eggs, duck eggs, etc..
When we speak simply of eggs, we are referring to the hen eggs.
Although eggs have very healthy fats such as lecithin, egg yolk is rich in cholesterol, a type of fat which, in excessive quantities, can damage the heart and arteries. When eaten in appropriate amounts egg yolk provides very appropriate nutrients.
What eggs are best?
All eggs are very nutritious, but we know that:
- Duck eggs are richer in vitamin B12, vitamin A and vitamin D followed by chicken eggs and quail eggs. They are also those with less sodium
- Chicken eggs are richer in zinc, vitamin E and vitamin K.
- Quail eggs are the richest in iron. The eggs of quail and duck have much more selenium than crawl.
How many eggs should we eat?
We can take 3 to 4 eggs per week.
* See egg servings
- Eggs are so important in nutrition because they provide with high quality protein. They also contain fats, vitamins and minerals.
- Only eggs and other foods of animal origin contain vitamin B12
- We should eat 3 to 4 eggs per week.
- Strict vegetarians do not eat eggs. However, there are ovo-vegetarian people adding eggs to their vegetable diet.
More information about nutrition in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.