LIST OF FOODS WITH A LOT OF CYSTEINE
As in most amino acids, foods containing them are those with a high protein concentration:
Animal food rich in cysteine
- Meats (pork, duck, chicken, etc.)
- Fish (hake, tuna, monkfish, etc.)
- Eggs and derivatives.
- Milk and dairy products.
Vegetable food rich in cysteine
- Sunflower seeds
Sunflower seeds are very rich in cysteine.
- Soy and its derivatives: tofu, tempeh,…
- Wheat and its derivatives, especially seitan
- Legumes (soy, lentils, chickpeas, etc.)
Lentils contain a lot of cysteine.
- Vegetables (peppers, garlic, cabbage, etc.)
- Cereals (wheat, pasta, rice, etc.)
- Nuts and seeds.
- Some dietary supplements such as wheat germ.
* Related information:
– How to combine vegetable proteins
List of amino acids in food
Essential amino acids
Nonessential amino acids
Phenylalanine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Valine
Aspartic acid, Glutaminic acid, Alanine, Arginine, Cysteine, Cystine, Glycine, Hydroxyproline, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine
More information on amino acids.
This article was endorsed by Elisenda Carballido - Dietitian nutritionist. Postgraduate in Phytotherapy and master in Nutrition and Metabolism.
Written by Editorial Botanical-online team in charge of content writing
3 April, 2022