- 1 Benefits of ajoaceite sauce
- 1.1 CHARACTERISTICS OF AJOACEITE OR ALIOLI SAUCE
- 1.2 What is ajoaceite o alioli?
- 1.3 Medicinal properties of ajoaceite
- 1.4 AJOACEITE HOMEMADE SAUCE RECIPE
- 1.5 Ingredients for homemade ajoaceite sauce (without egg)
- 1.6 How to make ajoaceite sauce
- 1.7 What is ajoaceite used for?
- 1.8 Can you eat ajoaceite if you want to lose weight?
Benefits of ajoaceite sauce
CHARACTERISTICS OF AJOACEITE OR ALIOLI SAUCE
What is ajoaceite o alioli?
Ajoaceite or alioli is is a typical sauce of Catalan cuisine. His name allioli means “garlic and oil” (= “all” and ” oli” in Catalan) because originally this recipe from the Catalan region is prepared only with garlic, oil and salt (no egg yolk and bread crumbs).
Medicinal properties of ajoaceite
This sauce is very healthy because it contains allicin and ajoene, medicinal principles that are only found in very crushed raw garlic.
The recipe starts crashing the garlic
AJOACEITE HOMEMADE SAUCE RECIPE
Ingredients for homemade ajoaceite sauce (without egg)
- 1-3 cloves garlic (to taste)
- Olive oil (Adding it gradually to achieve the desired amount of sauce)
How to make ajoaceite sauce
Photo of ajoaceite in a mortar. It should be thick, forming a “nest” when removing it.
In a cooking mortar, chop the garlic into a paste.
- Add a little olive oil and stir slowly, always in the same direction. A very characteristic sound will indicate that sauce is starting to thicken (emulsify)
- Slowly add more oil, always stirring in the same direction
- Sauce has to form like a nest when removing it, which is indicative that the sauce is well thickened (see picture).
If all the oil is added at once, the sauce will not emulsify. Also, not too much oil should be added in order not to stop thickening. If so, rethickening it is very difficult.
If salt is used, it should be added towards the end and in small quantities. Thus garlic is more medicinal (salt inactivates enzymes responsible for forming ajoene, the medicinal principle of garlic).
Some people use egg yolk, which is added at the end, at room temperature, to help emulsify the sauce better. To thicken, you can also add some bread crumbs, although, if it has emulsified well, this will not be necessary.
What is ajoaceite used for?
Can you eat ajoaceite if you want to lose weight?
Yes, this type of preparations, accompanied by a proper diet, can be very healthy. We should forget the myth that fat makes you fat.
If the oil is of good quality (1a cold pressure) and the sauce is made with 2 cloves of garlic and a little salt, is a highly recommended prescription in people with obesity, weight loss diets, people with diabetes or hypertension.
Since the oil contains many calories, it should logically be consumed in moderation.
Mayonnaise with garlic from the supermarket is not healthy
Why supermarket mayonnaise (or ajoaceite) is not healthy and does not have medicinal properties?
Mayonnaise with garlic sauce or garlic sauce that you can buy in supermarkets has no medicinal principles because garlic has been pasteurized or sterilized. Heat treatment destroys these principles.
Moreover, in many cases sauces contain very little garlic to taste more enjoyable for most consumers and greater amount is used.
Most of the time these industrial sauces are made with poor quality oils, contain too much salt or flavor enhancing additives have.
For these reasons the homemade sauces with healthy fats and nutritious foods like garlic sauce or homemade guacamole are recommended.
More information on garlic
26 December, 2021