PREPARING SAMBAR PODI (SAMBAR MIX
Sambaar Podi or Powder is a blend of spices and pulses, Known as Dal in India.
With these spices is made a thick sauce used to flavor vegetable dishes to prepare sauces and to thicken and flavor soups and stews.
– 2 teaspoons of cumin
– 2 teaspoon black pepper
– 6 tablespoons coriander seeds
– 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
– 10 hot peppers, seeded and peeled.
– 2-6 teaspoons of turmeric powder
– 2 tablespoons yellow lentils (dal muna)
– 2 tablespoons yellow split peas (channa dal)
– 2 teaspoons of chickpeas (urad dal)
– Mix all spices except turmeric.
– Slightly toast the mixture in the pan, over medium – low fire for 15-20 minutes.
– Stir Constantly. When the seeds have been roasted, remove them from heat.
– Mix the dry legumes with the spices.
– Grind the mixture with a coffee grinder, until a fine powder is obtained. Store in a sealed glass jar.
– Add the turmeric powder to taste, 2 to 6 teaspoons, According to taste.
The spice blends are a cultural heritage, a very important nutrient for all civilizations, in spite of being less valued nowadays. These fragrant spices have written the history of the modern world, through the Spice Route and the discovery of America (or New World). During the Middle Ages in Europe, spices were so important as to be considered money to pay taxes.
Currently, the amazing aromas that these spices can bring go unnoticed in societies where fast -food is so well established. However, these little ingredients provide a great aroma to our dishes as well as nutritional and medicinal virtues:
From a nutritional point of view, all the spices are rich in antioxidant and aromatic anticancer substances. We let you enjoy natural foods and discover new flavor combinations that will broaden your culinary horizons.
Each spice has different medicinal properties:
– Cumin is also a digestive spice, like other Umbelliferae such as fennel, dill or anise.
– Turmeric is a powerful anti -cancer.
– Black pepper and generally spicy seasonings stimulate stomach secretions, promoting digestion of food.
Discover all the spices that can spice up your kitchen!
More information on fenugreek recipes.
22 April, 2019