CAN FENUGREEK BECOME A POISONOUS PLANT?
Is fenugreek toxic?
The seeds of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) are not toxic if taken as a food in the ordinary amounts, according to scientific studies.
What are the main medicinal components of fenugreek seeds?
Medicinal components of fenugreek seeds
- High in soluble fiber, like mucilage and galactomannans.
- Amino 4hydroxyisoleucine
- Phytosterols: betasitosterol.
- Trigonelline (0.20.3%) with hypoglycemic action. It can interfere with diabetes medication.
- Coumarins. May interfere with anticoagulant drugs.
- Steroid saponins: mainly diosgenin
- Flavonoid glycosides: vitexin, isovitexin, orientin, homoorientin, vicenin1, vicenin2.
- Alkaloids: carpain and gentianin.
Grains of fenugreek
What are the negative consequence of taking fenugreek?
The FDA (Food and Drugs Administration in the U.S.) sees the plant as safe and well stated in the GRAS list (Generally Recognized as Safe). However, some sensitive individuals may experience some side effects and can interfere with some medications.
More information on fenugreek side effects and contraindications
22 March, 2022