- 1 Plant-based food for pancreas inflammation
- 1.1 Importance of a suitable diet on pancreatitis prevention or treatment
- 1.2 General guidelines for pancreatitis
- 1.3 INITIAL DIET FOR ACUTE PANCREATITIS
- 1.4 What to eat during the first days of pancreatitis?
- 1.5 How to introduce foods ?
- 1.6 If previous foods are tolerated…
- 1.7 Recommended meals
- 1.8 Examples of meals
Plant-based food for pancreas inflammation
Importance of a suitable diet on pancreatitis prevention or treatment
Pancreatitis is a serious disease of the pancreas that can be acute or chronic.
The pancreas has digestive functions and eating can increase the pain in these cases due to the involvement of this organ.
Just by means of smelling or tasting a food, the body stimulates the pancreas to start releasing substances in the intestines that allow you to digest and absorb the eaten foods.
This disease is treated in a hospital, where, during the first days, intravenous nutrition (serum) are administered until the pain ceases.
General guidelines for pancreatitis
Explanatory drawing of pancreatitis. Courtesy of © www.dibujosparapintar.com
If you are just passing an attack of pancreatitis, you should take a strict diet to introduce foods properly so as not to experience diarrhea.
In general, these guidelines will be followed:
- The introduction of the food will be made when directed by the physician and under his/her control.
- Eat low fat: Initially, you will NOT take any oil (or other fat) during meals until other foods are tolerated.
- Nuts, meats, fatty meats, cookies and pastries are totally contraindicated.
- When a food or beverage causes pain, stop taking it and try again later.
INITIAL DIET FOR ACUTE PANCREATITIS
What to eat during the first days of pancreatitis?
- Fasting in the hospital with enteral nutrition (intravenous drip) until the pain subsides.
- You can only eat when directed by the physician.
- Before taking any food, you should tolerate drinking water.
How to introduce foods ?
Boiled zucchini is recommended at the beginning
- Natural fruit juices, or sugared water.
- Vegetables with little fiber, boiled and WITHOUT OIL: zucchini, onions, carrots, etc..
- If tolerated, boiled potato
- Boiled rice
- Soy drink
- Puffed rice cakes
If previous foods are tolerated…
- Boiled white fish, papillote or microwave.
- Soy protein powder
- Or hard boiled egg without the yolk
- Bread Rusks
- Boiled corn
- Other grains: quinoa, buckwheat, oats, etc..
- Add little oil to preparations. Increase gradually.
The most desirable during the first weeks of recovery is that the patient can eat rice and a protein food with a little oil.
If you do not tolerate oil, do not take it and use supplementation of short and medium chain triglycerides.
Examples of meals
Zucchini cream is very suitable in this diet
Vegetable broth with rice
Boiled fish with a little oil + boiled potato
Boiled rice with boiled vegetables (onion or zucchini)
Hard boiled egg (no yolk) + boiled potatoes with a little oil
Courgette soup with potatoes and soy protein powder
* Related information:
More information on pancreatitis.
22 April, 2019