Consequences of taking agrimony
AGRIMONY ADVERSE EFFECTS
- Contact Dermatitis: The fresh plant can cause dermatitis in susceptible individuals.
- Photosensitivity dermatitis: Agrimony contains substances that can cause photosensitivity (coumarin glycosides), and sun exposure can cause dermatitis.
- Digestive disorders: one of the main applications of the agrimony is as vulnerary remedy, for its richness in tannins. Tannins have antidiarrheal effect, local antiinflammatory and wound healing properties.
Large amounts of the plant can cause digestive discomfort such as stomach ache, colic and constipation, due to tannins and choleretic components of the plant.
Is agrymony suitable for pregnancy?
- Not safe in pregnancy: Agrimony is known as a plant that influences menstrual cycles. Do not take if you are pregnant.
* More information: Plants and pregnancy.
- Anemia: tannins are substances that decrease the absorption of iron. Long treatments with agrimony are not recommended for people with anemia.
- Allergy: like all plants, agrimony may cause allergy. Especially those with allergies or sensitivities to Rosaceae plants.
Due to the richness in tannins, agrimony can have some contraindications with some drugs and treatments. If you are taking some kind of medication, consult with your doctor.
More information on agrimony toxicity and contraindications.
13 May, 2021