Herbal remedies for pruritus or itching
Phytotherapy: Medicinal plants preparations to treat itching or pruritus
The main plants to treat itching are:
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita)
- Apply some crushed fresh leaves on the affected area
- Wash the wounds with the liquid from the infusion of 3 tablespoonfuls of dried plant in a liter of water.
- Wash wounds with gauze soaked with a few drops of essential oil diluted in water. Do not apply undiluted essential oil on the skin. The essential oil of peppermint can be bought in pharmacies of natural health stores.
- Rice (Oryza sativa) The crushed and dry starch of rice constitutes a good anti-inflammatory and astringent, able to absorb the humidity and to diminish the pruritus and the inflammation of the baby in the diaper dermatitis.This powder constitutes a natural alternative to talc powders.
- Apply rice dust, on sale in pharmacies and herbalist’s shops, on the inflamed zone, after the change of diapers (Powder of rice can be made at home by crushing it with a grinder)
- Raspberry (Rubus idaeus) Wash the affected area with the liquid from the decoction for 15 minutes of 5 tablespoonfuls of dried leaves per liter of water. Let stand 15 minutes)
- Pomegranate (Punica granatum) Pomegranate is adequate in external use for the treatment of skin diseases for its antibacterial and astringent properties to promote healing and protect against infection (Decoction of three tablespoons of dried bark per liter of water for 10 minutes. Apply the liquid from the previous decoction itchy area)
- Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) The liquid from the decoction of 3 tablespoonfuls in a liter of water can be applied with gauze on the skin. This remedy helps reduce itching, producing a sense of relief and freshness.
- Lavender (Lavandula officinalis, Lavandula latifolia) (wash the affected area with liquid from the 10-minute infusion of a spoonful of dried flowers per cup of water)
Other medicinal plants for itching
- Spiny restharrow (Ononis spinosa) (Make an infusion with a teaspoon of dried root (3-4 gr) per cup of water. Take two or three cups a day)
- Linden (Tilia sp.) The liquid from the infusion of one teaspoon of dried flowers per cup of water can be used to decrease the itchy rashes, pimples, scrapes, etc. (Drench the affected area with a gauze soaked with the liquid of the infusion)
- Holm oak (Quercus ilex) In cases of excessive itching, external use of this plant can help reduce discomfort. (Apply compresses on the affected area with the liquid from the decoction of 4 tablespoonfuls of dried bark per liter of water.).
- Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) Used externally, it can be applied to bee stings or other insects to reduce the swelling and reduce itching (Grind a handful of seeds and mixed them with water until all becomes pasty. Apply a poultice on the itching point)
- Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) (Decoction of a handful of dried plant per liter of water. Apply a decoction on the affected area)
*Related information: How to get rid of eczema itching.
More information about itching and its natural treatment.
2 September, 2020