Herbal treatment for lice
Characteristics of lice
Head lice are parasitic wingless insects that live in the body of mammals, including man. Lice infestation is known as pediculosis. The main lice that affect humans are:
– Head lice (Pediculus humanus capitis) They live in the hair of the head where they lay eggs called nits. The head louse feeds on human blood through its suckering and punching mouth which causes intense itching. Itching is responsible for scratching, that can produce skin infections.
– Body lice (Pediculus humanus corporis) The body louse is another sub-species of human louse that lives in the body of infected people. It lays eggs on clothes.
– Crab lice (Pediculus pubis) Crab louse is a type of louse that lives in pubic hair. Like the previous types of human lice, it causes intense itching in the genital area.
Phytotherapy: Herbal remedies to treat head lice, body lice and crabs
Among the main herbs we can use to get rid of lice, or diminish lice itching, we can distinguish the following:
– Aloe (Aloe vera) Aloe possesses antiseptic, germicide, anti inflammatory, moisturizing and regenerative properties. Applied on the skin, it turns out to be one of the best remedies against bites of insects (Use aloe juice to rub the affected bitten parts)
– Mint (Mentha spp.) Mints can be used to diminish lice itching and avoid lice approaching. (scrub of the young plant above the skin to ward off fleas.)
– Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) (Clean the affected zone with the liquid from the infusion of the dried plant.)
– Parsley (Petroselinum hortense) (Decoction of the dried plant. Wash the affected parts to keep off flies and crabs.)
– Witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) (Apply hazel water on the bites)
– Anise (Pimpinella anisum) (Mix equal parts of anise oil and alcohol. Rub the affected part to ward off lice or crabs.)
Natural repellent for lice
To prevent or repel the attack of skin parasites, especially fleas, flies, lice and mosquitoes, we can use pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium). If a branch of this plant is scrubbed on the legs or other body part, these parasites will go away or will not dare to approach.
Another good way is to make a decoction of a couple of tablespoons of its dry leaves, place the liquid in a spray bottle and spray the affected area.
In this way we will get a good natural repellent, an alternative to chemical products containing unsafe components, such as malathion or pyrethrum, which may be responsible for health problems.
Lice treatment product
The following formula can also be very useful to be used instead of commercial lice killers:
Natural lice killer for adults
– 100 ml almond oil.
– 10 ml of lavanda oil.
– 10 ml of bergamot oil.
– 10 ml of eucalyptus oil.
– Mix all the ingredients.
– Apply it on your scalp before going to bed.
– Cover your hair with a plastic bag or swimming cap.
– Keep your hair covered all the night.
– Wash your hair thoroughly next morning
– Comb your hair exhaustively with a lice comb. (Go on combing your hair with this special comb two times every day for 15 days.)
Note: In order to avoid possible contagion, people living with you should follow the same treatment. The same should be applied to your classmates.
Another treatment could be necessary in 7 or 10 days in order to kill new lice that could have been born from remaining nits. One should take into account that nits can not be eradicated with anything but physical methods.
*Related information: Natural lice treatment for children
Natural repellent for lice on dogs and cats
In case of pets, a good way to prevent lice from attacking dogs, cats or other animals is to make a necklace with branches and leaves of pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium). Placed on their neck, it will drive away lice. At the same time, it will provide the animal in question with a very pleasant aroma.
There are certainly very cheap synthetic lice repellents in the market today. They are also easy to apply, but this remedy is much more environmentally friendly and can be applied immediately if we are able to pick up a useful piece of this plant.
More information about skin parasites and its natural treatment.
19 March, 2019